Coopers Community

Coopers Draught

JerryM

I am new to home brewing and any help would be appreciated.

I am currently brewing coopers draught. Bubbles stopped on 5th day and had SG of 1010. Now is the 6th day, still no more bubbles and SG is still sitting at 1010. Temperature is sitting betwen 23-25 from he start. Sould I bottle it or wait for one more day. My air lock still shows two level even though there are no more bubbles. Someone I know said I should wait until the levels in the air lock equalised. Is that true?

Your post is not relevant to the forum you posted it to so it's been moved - Welcome to the Brewers Guild! [biggrin]

Ignore the airlock.

Have a read of the FAQs

Normally steady SG over a couple of days means that fermentation has finished. What other ingredients did you add to the beer kit?

[bandit] The hydrometer is king my friend. The airlock is a very basic indicator of fermentation [unsure] . It sounds like it is ready for bottling but it couldn't hurt to leave it another day.

Welcome to the world of home brewing [biggrin]

Thank you for your advice. I am using white sugar and form what I have read SG should be somewhere between 1003 and 1006 when is ready to bottle. Is it normal to have a stable reading at 1010 sometimes? For example, if my SG is reading at 1012 for 2 days can I still bottle it base on the rule that I have the same readings for 2 days. What sould I do in that case?

If the brew has stopped short of expected FG by more than a couple of points there is a chance of overcarbonation in the bottles. Bottle into PETs, overgassed bottles can easily have the pressure released [wink]

PETs are king when in doubt about FG. Some brews just don't behave according to the laws of physics (maybe Stephen Hawking and crew should take that on board). In the early days, I had a few bulged crown seals on a slow brew - entirely my fault (not a Coopers [cool] )- and released the brew, whilst wearing heavy over coat, gloves, safety glasses and face shield. We never stop learning.

One thing to check is the calibration of your hydrometer. Check its cal temp, usually 15 or 20 degrees C. In a sample of clean water @ cal temp, it should read 1.000. I've come across a few hydrometers a couple of points out.

Cheers,

Gaz

Archived