Coopers Community

Turbid brew in bottles

AlexR

Hi,

just bottled up a brew after it was on the same SG for 2 days. Bulk primed for the first time (5th brew) and have noticed that the beer appears to be unusually cloudy/turbid (in bottles for 3 days now). The brew consisted of Original series lager with Brew enhancer 2, a can of light malt extract with a cup of saaz hops thrown in prior to pitching the yeast, and fermented for 10 days at 18-20 degrees.

Is this unusual? I haven't seen this with my other brews and hope I haven't bottled it too soon!

Cheers, Alex.

Not unusual. Could be due to the yeast or due to infection. If it smells and tastes okay you can rule out infection. Give it weeks not days and see how things go.

Out of interest what was the FG? I would be expecting 1010 - 1012 'ish...

well...FG was 1020. Thing is I didn't get a good measure of the OG as I collected what was in the tap as well and got a ridiculous reading of ~1160 and thus don't know how much the SG dropped during the fermentation. So I just went with the SG being the same over 24 h as I didn't want to risk infection.

If it was bottled too soon, will it condition in the bottle?

Cheers, Alex.

Thing is I didn't get a good measure of the OG as I collected what was in the tap as well and got a ridiculous reading of ~1160

I've had this happen a couple of times too [pinched] If your SG reading seems outlandish [alien] chuck it out and take another one. Alternatively, when taking a sample discard the first third of a cup then take your sample. [biggrin]

Archived