Coopers Community

2nd Brew

bigrmac

It has taken me longer than I expected but I have finally gotten round to starting my 2nd brew.

I have gone with Coopers Draught with BE1 and 2 packs of Saflager-23 yeast. BE2 was a bit of a mistake as I misread the recommendation, should have used BE2 but hey-ho.

I have pitched the yeast at (aprox) 26degC, and allowed to cool to 20.6degC (controller set to 20). Now after 24 hours after pitching I have dropped this to 14degC which I intend to keep it at.

Fermentation has kicked off nicely.

My questions now are;

1) How long should fermentation take at 14degC? I don't want to start checking SG too early

2) I want to incorporate a diacetyl rest at the end, when and for how long will be best for a lager?

3) Is there any other steps I can take prior to bottling to improve the lager?

I have a fridge and heat pad connected to a temp controller so have some flexibility here.

Cheers in advance, I am hoping to wright down a proper procedure as it were so I don't have to keep asking on here.

Check the SG after 5-6 days, if it's low enough (about 1.020), allow the temp of the brew to rise to 18C*, and leave it up there until 14 days have passed (check the SG after 10 and 12 days to confirm fermentation has finished, which it should be). After that, drop it down to 0 degrees or as close as your fridge can go and let it sit for a week, or two weeks if you're not in a rush to bottle it. After that cold conditioning period it can be bottled. This is the process I use with all my lagers and it works very well for me. The only difference is that I ferment at 10C and pitch large counts of yeast grown in starters.

*During this step perhaps unplug the heater, depending on where you are and what the outside temp is. It's better to let it slowly rise naturally with the heat created by the fermentation than force it up too quickly.

Winner, exactly what I was after.

Its spring time here in the UK, its warm but don't know if it will make 18degC on its own, I am thinking let it warm up through out the day as much as it will then put the heater on to maintain 18degC. I might even put the heater in the "salad crisper" section at the bottom to avoid directly heating the fermenter.

Not in a rush to bottle so will give it the extra week cold conditioning.

Wow the Saflager-23 does work quick!! Checked my brew yesterday on the 7th day after pitching with put the temp up to 18degC for a diacetyl rest and the SG was already down to 1.005!!

I have put the temp up to 18degC now and will leave it there until next weekend before I drop it to 0degC.

One thing I am slightly worried about is I left the collar off this batch (didn't think I would really need it, the first larger didn't foam at all), will that affect the flavour?

Had a smell and taste and both seem ok

Archived