Coopers Community

Is it the same bottle yeast in both the Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale?

WeirdBeer

I have a couple Sparkling ale bottles in the fridge and I'm thinking of making the Australian Pale Ale kit with the re cultured yeast.

Does Coopers use the same yeast in their commercial Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale?

Or would that be to convenient . . . ?

Basically if you use Pale Ale you can feel safer in the knowledge that the yeast will be more viable due to the lower alcohol content (alcohol will kill yeast). It also makes its way onto the shelf fresher as I believe Sparkling Ale is conditioned for longer at the brewery. When buying your Pale Ale make sure you pick the youngest available to increase your chances of lots of little yeasties just begging to be put back to work.

I have successfully brewed a STRONG strong brew using 1 can of Lager, 1 can of Draft, 1kg Dextrose, 500g Light malt and (can't help myself) 3 little chilli's (hot ones). The result was a brew of 8.3% magic. Brewed cool <=20 degs, took about 2 weeks for primary fermentation. The result was a firm pallette, nice body, and not too bitter. A hint of whisky invaded the taste. Why chilli's? I believe they are a good source of vitamin C and help to produce a 'drier' brew, not the same as enzyme, but almost as effective.

And the yeast? The one that came with the can. I have read that if you want to brew +8% (i.e. Barley Wine territory @ 14-15%), Champagne Yeasts are the go.

Cheers

Gaz

Archived