Coopers Community

16 days still 1012, still fermenting. Disaster?

MarkJ1

Hi Folks,

I put some Canadian Blonde on with Beer Enhancer 1 the day before ANZAC Day. Thats 16 days now.

Its pretty cold here and the first day the brew was 18 degrees so I put a blanket around it and stuck in some 500 mil water bottle with boiling water between the blanket and the plastic to keep it warm.

Its held 18 deg to 20 degrees since then. Its bubbling about once every 2 minutes now and SD of 1012.5 It tastes OK but not flash...

I only started doing SD readings yesterday as I normally brew warmer and bubbling stops after a few days.

The reading has been stable from yesterday to today.

Taste is OK but I wouldnt race to the pub to buy it. I'm not much of a taste tester (too much smoking as a kid?)

Whats your thoughts?

1) Wait longer till it stops bubbling and hopefully goes down to 1008?

2) Bottle now and she'll be right?

3) Bottle now and serve only to friends?

1012 will be very light alcohol, won't it?

How sour is 'sour' when you taste it? Is it spit out sour or like the taste of a beer you have never tried before and gotten used to?

Thanks for your help.

Mark :)

1012 sounds ok to me. Take another reading tomorrow and if its stable go ahead and bottle it.

We'd really need more info (OG & Volume & Fermentables ie. how much BE1) to work out the alcohol content.

As for the taste, it'll probably get better with age as long as there isn't an infection - But then again it may just not be to your taste.

...oh and Ignore the airlock [wink]

Brew Enhancer was the full box. Volume was 23 litres. OG = original SD? I didn't check...

I just do the straight kit brew: 1 tin and 1 box, 23 L water. I am simple in many ways. ;)

I have a problem of massive proportions... I broke the original hydrometer and threw away the plastic tube. The new hydrometer didnt come with a tube and as I am away from home (a traveling brewing exercise) I haven't got a tube. I will NOT waste a full cup of beer testing each day! I would end up with 2 bottles [crying]

I'll take you advice, and, read you sig box 3 times. :)

Thanks for your help.

Mark

The goal is stable SG readings over a couple of days. That said, 1012 is a good number when using Brew Enhancer 1 - it contains 40% Maltodextrin, which is not very fermentable.

If the taste is okay for you, bottle it. However, if you think the taste is sour/vinegary, put it on the veggie patch.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys :)

I had my first taster of the new brew and its FINE!! [biggrin]

I will be starting another batch prolly next week - we have to get water for the boat so I can have water for the brew. For those interested it tkaes me 55 liters of water to do the full wash/sanitize and includes the 23 litres. The big wash is in salt water and I just rinse in fresh.

The bottles I rinse in salt water when finished drinking and squirt a bit of fresh in to rinse with a spray bottle [happy]

Mark

You lucky bugger, sailing around Turkey. We loved Bodrum, Oludeniz and Fethiye when we backpacked through there 11 years ago.

I've had a pilsener brewing at around 13-14 degrees for 19 days. It started at 1040 and is down to 1012. Sat on 1014 for a couple of days. I'm being patient. I'll bottle on the weekend (4 days away).

Actually, I do lie. I have put on a Heritage Lager in the meantime. It's brewing in stereo.

By the way, I don't remember Turkish beer being expensive.

. We loved Bodrum, Oludeniz and Fethiye when we backpacked through there 11 years ago.

I don't remember Turkish beer being expensive.

Turkish beer is now AUD$48 case of 500ml Efes.

We are in Marmaris at the moment so you would have come here between Bodrum and Fethiye.

Heading for the Greek Isles in a few weeks :)

Yes, ChrisK its not bad. :) We even sailed up to Gallipoli for ANZAC Day, parked it in a little fishing village just a couple of kms walk from ANZAC cove. No one spoke English. Wonderful stuff :)

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Archived