Coopers Community

White Yeast Packets In The New Thomas Coopers Series Range

Hi Guys,

There's a plethora of information pertaining to the older yeast packets in the way of the date code and whether its a lager or ale yeast but I'm trying to find out more information relating to the newer white packets with the pic of Thomas Cooper on it...at this stage I've come up short.

I have three yeast packets from the new TC Series range that I may use up depending on what they are. I have two from the Innkeepers Daughter which has a 'W' on the back and one from a Ruby Porter with an 'S' on the back, plus the relevant date codes. Would the W be perhaps a wheat strain and the S something to do with a stout (ale) perhaps? Does anyone happen to have more info on the white packet strains?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Guys' date='

There's a plethora of information pertaining to the older yeast packets in the way of the date code and whether its a lager or ale yeast but I'm trying to find out more information relating to the newer white packets with the pic of Thomas Cooper on it...at this stage I've come up short.

I have three yeast packets from the new TC Series range that I may use up depending on what they are. I have two from the Innkeepers Daughter which has a 'W' on the back and one from a Ruby Porter with an 'S' on the back, plus the relevant date codes. Would the W be perhaps a wheat strain and the S something to do with a stout (ale) perhaps? Does anyone happen to have more info on the white packet strains?

Cheers

Paul

[/quote']

The closest you can get, other than speculation is this:

http://store.coopers.com.au/brewing-info/faqs.html#what-strain-of-yeast-is-supplied-with-with-my-brew-can

details of Coopers yeast is kept confidential, & the strains are their own, though there is some speculation that the TC range may have some 3rd party products, or strains descended from them.

All that said, it's a fair bet you're on the money with W meaning wheat style, S is stout etc; not exactly rocket science to figure that out.

Interesting I overlooked that page! Thats a good start anyway it lets me know the Innkeepers is not a wheat strain which was more the info I was after.

Thanks heaps mate!

Well I guess it's still open to interpretation, unless PB2 chooses to contribute.

I'm figuring the yeasts are named after the cans they come with rather than the other way around; so the H for the Preacher's is for Hefe, but of course a Hefe is a style of wheat beer, so it may be a more specific strain of yeast, or it may just be that it's easier for the folk at Coopers as well as us customers if the brews match up with the yeasts.

Obviously it's still up to the brewer to decide what to do with yeasts & kits though, you could easily interchange them or use a 3rd party yeast & make a completely different style to what is intended to be made with the can.

Absolutely...I'm actually putting down a double batch stout and usually use US05 for all my beers but as the recipe states to try use the commercial ale yeast (of which I have 4 packets) the Rubys 'stout' packet and the rest I'll make up with US05 its a bit of a mix I wouldn't normally do but I thought I'd save a bit and see what happens. I think I've decided to leave out the two Innkeepers 'W' packets for now as we're both a bit unclear on that one!

Archived