Coopers Community

reculture of CPA failure?

JamesP2

G'day all.

I have been attempting to reculture CPA yeast for my next brew as per instructions listed by PB2 in anoter thread. ie. 600ml dextrose split between 4 bottles. After 4 days (it says 2-3 days in the procedure), I am not getting any action. My procedure is as follows:

boiled and cooled 600ml of water

Added 4 tablespoons dextrose.

evenly split the dextrose between 4 bottles of CPA (best after date 19/1/10)and covered with glad wrap

sat in a room (not totally dark but in a shaded darkish spot)

room has been between 21-25 degrees.

shake bottles 4 times a day (at least)

when i shake the bottles, the glad wrap puffs out as if there's pressure in there (has done since day one)

a head forms after i have shaken the bottle, but receeds over an hour

I have not had any signs that the yeast is active.

Am i not waiting long enough?

will the CPA yeast be better in a coopers lager than the supplied sachet yeast or am i waisting my time trying.

I have been coming home from work every day, all excited in anticipation of making my wort and pitching my recultured yeast, but have not had much luck.

Any suggestions?

The CPA is fresh enough.

By now, the CO2 normally dissolved in solution when you first open the beer, should have escaped. So if you are getting bulging cling-wrap 4 days on, when the cutlure is agitated, it may well be re-activating nicely.

At this stage you might like to make up a brew and pitch the yeast (have a smell of it to make sure it's okay). Keep the dry yeast to the side as back-up. You should see some foam forming on the top of the brew within 24hrs.

If you aren't likely to pitch in the next day or so, stick it in the fridge (I don't like to refrigerate it more than a week). Make sure to let it come up to temperature before pitching. Again, have smell to make sure it's okay.

made up the wort, pitched the yeast at about 23 deg on Sat night about 9.30.

temperature had dropped to about 20 deg. 24 Hrs later, no sign of any action whatsoever.

Was going to pitch the packet yeast today when i got home from work (42 hrs later), but came home to find my cling wrap bulging and about 30mm of foam on the brew.

I am STOKED!!!!!

Thanks for the help Paul.

Temp is down to about 19 deg. and is probably going to drop a bit further under my house here in Melbourne.

How low can i go with this CPA yeast??

Archived