Coopers Community

Is there any problem using all malt?

StevenM

Hi all. I'm a newcomer to brewing putting on my first batch on New Year's day (up here in Ottawa, Canada). I'm now about to start my 6th batch and I'm thinking of the following recipe:

1 can Cooper's English Bitter

1.3 kg liquid malt extract

10 g of Kent Golding boiled for 10-15 min with the LME and a couple of litres of water

Kit yeast

10 g of Kent Golding dry at racking

Does this sounds okay? I'm mainly trying to get a more hoppy finish to the EB than my first batch had - a bit like Whychwood's Fiddler's Elbow.

It seems most recipes include at least some dextrose, and I've always used at least 250 g in the past - am I going to run into troubles without it?

Cheers.

Steve

Providing the kit is relatively fresh (the yeast is in good health) the brew should ferment nicely. I regularly use 1kg of Light Dry Malt without issue.

1.3kg of Liquid Malt Extract (assuming it's Coopers brand) converted to dry weight: 1.3kg x 0.8 (approx 80% solids) = 1.04kg

Haven't tasted Fiddlers Elbow - can only get Hobgoblin here, nice drop though!!

Thanks!

I'll happily drink either - Fiddler is a bit less malty and has a bit more of a hoppy finish. I've been drinking quite a bit both lately because I like their bottles and have been using them to bottle my homebrew.

Unfortunately, we don't see much bottled Cooper's over here in Canada, but the homebrew kits do quite well. So far I've done the Stout, English Bitter, IPA (I'm having the first glass of the batch I bottled a couple of weeks ago as I type -quite nice indeed!), and the Real Ale which is still in the carboy. Up to now it's been by the book, but I'm gonna start to tinker with my second batch of EB.

Cheers.... Steve

Archived