Coopers Community

Ginger beer fermentation start

carstenn

How long should it take before my ginger beer starts to ferment? I started it 20 hours ago and I'm not seeing any bubbles. I am quite sure my fermenter is sealed properly, if I press on it then the water in the airlock moves.

It may take up to 48 hrs before you see much action. Of course repeat the mantra "never trust the airlock, never trust the airlock". Give it time, from memory my ginger beers weren't the most active of fermentations. Just have faith and use your hydrometer - If the gravity is dropping it is fermenting.

Here's my airlock check: Push on the fermenter lid until the airlock levels move until you get a bubble out the top and then release. If the water levels are different then your sealed nicely. If they spring back to the same level then your lid is not on properly... (Sometimes I run a little olive oil around the rim of the fermenter before I screw the lid on which helps)...

Physics aside Muddy's advice is spot on for the chemistry !

Cheers,

Happy me JasonD

Muddy, On second thoughts I do have one argument against the Glad Wrap. During the hot months up here in Qld, I run a heat exchanger and pump that cascades cool (water over the top of my fermenter. It drops the ambient temp by about 6C when it's humid and up to 9C when it's dry... Can't use the Glad Wrap approach for this...

Cheers,

JasonD

G'day Jason - I always use a temp controlled brewing fridge so the Glad Wrap works well for me but it definately sounds like a lid is the way to go for you.

If you are able to get yourself a fridge for brewing I reckon it is the one of the best investments you can make. It make things a lot easier and does wonders for your beer.

I've got a fridge on the back deck for lagers and I use the heat exchanger set-up for ales. The morning light shines directly on the fridge so I still get about a 4C fluctuation between day and night... Have you added an extra thermostat to your set-up when you say "Temp controlled" ? I'd be interested to know what you've got...The only other thing I need is a stand alone Brewing/Games Room/Office to house the fridge ;-) It's coming. I got building approval from the Ministry of War and Finance

Thanks Muddy, Interesting piece of equipment given both the cooling/heating functions. The price is ok too, much cheaper than the temp controllers used for keeping vaccine in a domestic fridge... I'll have a think about this one...

Cheers !

Archived