Coopers Community

Going to try a Honey Wheat

I have been reading about "White Stouts' date='" made with coffee, so I was particularly interested in what you had to say about this. I might try adding a few coffee beans to some cider, the next time I bottle some. BTW, which sweetener are you going to use? I used xylitol (comes from birch trees) to back-sweeten some cider, and also in a "chocolate" stout that was less sweet than I wanted at bottling, and am waiting for them to carbonate to see how they worked out. I was very impressed with the taste of xylitol. It looks like sugar, is 100% as sweet as sugar, and tastes an awful lot like sugar, without the bitter after-taste of so many other sweeteners. The only downside is that it you eat a lot of it, it can cause diarrhea, but for back-sweetening purposes you would never get a high enough dose to cause diarrhea. Cheers! -Christina.[/quote']

Thanks again Christina,

Good to hear about xylitol I would be interested in trying it, I have some Splenda that I will be trying, I defiantly want a natural sweetener not something with aspartame. I also read some brewers have had success with Stevia.

I have been reading about "White Stouts' date='" made with coffee, so I was particularly interested in what you had to say about this. I might try adding a few coffee beans to some cider, the next time I bottle some. BTW, which sweetener are you going to use? I used xylitol (comes from birch trees) to back-sweeten some cider, and also in a "chocolate" stout that was less sweet than I wanted at bottling, and am waiting for them to carbonate to see how they worked out. I was very impressed with the taste of xylitol. It looks like sugar, is 100% as sweet as sugar, and tastes an awful lot like sugar, without the bitter after-taste of so many other sweeteners. The only downside is that it you eat a lot of it, it can cause diarrhea, but for back-sweetening purposes you would never get a high enough dose to cause diarrhea. Cheers! -Christina.[/quote']

Thanks again Christina,

Good to hear about xylitol I would be interested in trying it, I have some Splenda that I will be trying, I defiantly want a natural sweetener not something with aspartame. I also read some brewers have had success with Stevia.

Yes, I heard good things about Stevia as well, so I checked into it. If you go with Stevia, the liquid kind is better. The powdered ones are always mixed with something. In the case of "Stevia in the Raw" I believe it is maltodextrin. Liquid Stevia is very expensive, so that is why I went with xylitol, plus it is natural.

Archived