Coopers Community

too much head.....?

CATpAW Brewing

yeah, before you all start responding with "there's no such thing as too much head...", I'm talking home brew OK.

I brewed a Coopers original bitter, adding just 1kg of BE1 and some Cluster hop pellets back in late June.

Pitched with supplied yeast at 24 deg C then sat at 20 deg C for 7 days. Final SG was 1011 (stable over 2 days, but probably lower as I think my hydrometer reads a bit high).

Bottled into 740 ml PET with 2 coopers carbonation drops.

Bottled were stored at 20 deg C ambient for a couple of months.

Whilst flavour, colour, aroma etc. are all fine, I get an uncontrollable excess head on the glass, regardless of how delicately I pour it. I cannot get more than a 1/2 glass of fluid, the rest being foam.

I've not experienced this before. Does anyone have any insights into what might cause this?

Sounds like you are just short of having "gushers"! If bottled at the correct SG, most likely caused by infection due to wild yeast and/or bacteria.

You can de-gas by cracking the seal on each PET and tighten back up, like you would with a soft drink that may have been shaken. Might need to do this a few times to normalise the pressure.

Archived