Coopers Community

Vegemite Beer!

AussieJosh

This may have been spoken about before....but while at work today i was looking at a jar of the new Vegemite and it got me thinking!!!!!.........Has anyone here ever tried putting a scoop or two of Vegemite in to there fermenter instead of packet yeast? would the yeast in Vegemite work? then you need to ask your self this question...........is Vegemite an ale yeast or a lager yeast or an ale/lager blend???????

If no one has done it i think Paul.........You should try it at work and see how it turns out! I guess you could use the ingredients for free!? so your the best man for the job!!!

No live yeast in vegemite. :wink:

Paul Mercurio used to rave about a vegemite stout recipe, back in the very early days of the club. I tried it and was not impressed.

I spoke to Paul Mecurio recently, and he admitted that his Vegemite Stout was an awful beer.

Vegemite is an extract that is made from the leftover yeast. As you now realise, there is a lot of yeast left at the bottom of the fermenter when the brewing is complete. To turn this brown muck into something useful was genius.

I'm not sure what they do with the left over yeast at Coopers. The Dave at Mountain Goat gave some of theirs to some guys who wanted to try and make Vegemite. But it turned out badly, so it can't be to easy.

Some biologists on a research ship have written about trying to make something that resembles beer on their ship. They use Vegemite and anything else they can get their hands on.

You can read about it here:

http://southernfriedscience.com/2009/04/26/how-to-brew-beer-in-a-coffee-maker-using-only-materials-commonly-found-on-a-modestly-sized-oceanographic-research-vessel/

Archived