Coopers Community

High alcohol contents

Rossco

I have been brewing the Coopers can kits for about 6 months mostly coopers lager, coopers draught, coopers Canadian blonde and early on I was getting good results with these kits and using both my hydrometers (I have two Coopers Beer kit carboys) I was getting beers around the 4.5% to 5.6% alcohol content when brewing at room temperatures of around 26C for about 6 days. This was determined using the formula of subtracting the OG - FG / 7.46 + 0.5 as recommended by the coopers brewing booklet. All was fine and life was bliss.

But after a short break from brewing (was busy drinking it all) over Christmas I once again needed to replenish my stocks. I had acquired a good second hand 530 litre westing house fridge to brew my Lagers in and at a constant 15C. the fermentation stage took longer as expected at these temperatures about 15 to 16 days. Now however I am consistently getting reading of 6.9%, 7.2% and even 8.0% Alc/Vol using the same calculation method. and I thought OK this is probably due to the lagers brewing more completely at the lower temps thus converting more of the sugars into our friend Mr. alcohol. However I decided I needed to boost my stocks a bit quicker while these lagers were maturing so I put down one coopers lager and one coopers draught at room temperature (unfortunately it was warm that week 28C to 30C) and both brews were finished in 5 days and came up with 7.2 and 8.0% Alc/Vol. While I am not complaining about the high alcohol content, I have brewed as instructed by the kits, I have not added more sugars etc to the Carboy's but cannot figure out why I am getting these high alcohol returns. I have sampled these brews ( at 3 weeks) just to see how they turned out and can indeed confirm that, while not fully mature, they do indeed have a kick like a small feisty brumby so there is definitely more alcohol in them and not just a false readings on the hydrometer.

Can anyone suggest what may be behind this phenomenon

Rossco

Sydney NSW

Hi Rossco,

Your hydrometer is calibrated at 20 deg.

If the finished beer is 28 to 30 degrees, you should be adding around 2 to 3 points to your final reading to compensate for this, so you should get lower alcohol readings.

Just google hydrometer temperature corrections and you should find a scale to use.

Cheers,

Luke.

Archived