Coopers Community

Let's all bow our heads and acknoweldge the man that made our hobby possible

Beeblebrox

As some of you would realize, Gough Whitlam died this morning.

For some of you he's some lefty ex prime minister, for some of you he's an inspiring leader that brought valuable reform to Australia.

For all of us though, he's the guy that made home brewing legal in Australia, so whatever your political point of view, we owe the big man a debt of gratitude for making what we enjoy possible.

So vale Edward Gough Whitlam, and think of him the next time you raise your glass of home brew.

As some of you would realize' date=' Gough Whitlam died this morning.

For some of you he's some lefty ex prime minister, for some of you he's an inspiring leader that brought valuable reform to Australia.

For all of us though, he's the guy that made home brewing legal in Australia, so whatever your political point of view, we owe the big man a debt of gratitude for making what we enjoy possible.

So vale Edward Gough Whitlam, and think of him the next time you raise your glass of home brew.[/quote']

Hi beeblebrox,yeah I'll second that, I'll be having a beer and remembering those times

cheers and good brewing Tezza

Hard to warrant the homebrewer was restricted to an alcohol level of 2% ABV before Whitlam. I found an old homebrew kit in my grandad's garage, and the instructions included a careful precautionary note which read something like: "By law, you can't exceed 2% ABV. So don't put more than X ounces of sugar in your fermenter, or you'll get much stronger beer. So, you know, don't. Guys. Don't."

Good old Gough. That and Medicare, two master-strokes for the nations health.

Archived