Coopers Community

SG is 65 on my hydro is this ok

c49703

:D My name is Derek and this is the first time i have tried brewing my own coopers lager. After 7 days i checked the SG of the beer with a hydrometer that read a 65 on it. I am wondering if the alcohol content is ok. It fell within the area that said on it for beer. It just seems like it didnt come out right like on the video. I have bottled it and now are waiting to see what happens.

G'day Derek and welcome to the Coopers Club!

You can modify your alias as per this thread: http://www.coopers.com.au/club/phpbb/vi ... .php?t=734

There is a good chance that the brew is at or very close to Final Gravity (FG). If you have used the can of Lager goo, kilo of Brewing Sugar and mixed it to 23 litres then fermented it with the yeast supplied you should end up with a FG around the 1006 - 1008 mark. Having said that, don't be too worried about achieving actual numbers, rather look for a stable gravity reading over a couple of days as an indication that fermentation has finished.

You mention "65", this might be the sugar per litre scale?? Most homebrewers use the specific gravity scale, you'll see 1.000 (or one thousand) in the red band just above the green beer band and it then works down to 40 (or one thousand and forty).

Archived