My stout stopped bubbling

Hip Hops

Hi all, I made up a stout brew the other day using a recipe on these pages

1 can of coopers stout

1 can of coopers dark

500g LDME

200g dex.

both sachets of yeast

(was really looking forward to drinking this! :lol: ) But after only 2 days, it slowly stopped bubbling. I was expecting this one to froth out through the airlock. Today, its third day, it bubbles once every few minutes. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or is it stuffed?

the OG was 1052 and now its 1014. Should i bottle it now or wait a few more days?

Firstly check the seal on your fermenter lid. Sometimes a bad seal can cause misleading airlock activity. Also, now that we are into winter it is likely that the yeast activity will slow down considerably unless you have your fermenter heated. Be patient and wait until u are getting consistent gravity readings before bottling. I wait a few extra days in winter (Brisbane temps) as it does take longer. In closed fermentation waiting a few extra days will not be a drama, and is much better than having to clean up exploding bottles!

Best of luck. The Coopers stout is great. If u get a chance try the Irish stout with dark malt as it comes up a treat.

Looks like you've just had a nice fast ferment.

It's about 5.3% at the moment so it's almost finished.

Just remember what Ghost said to check your hydrometer readings before bottling.

Also, I prime stouts with only 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar per longneck. (I don't like gassy dark beers!)

Cheers,

Luke.

Thanks for the tips guys. I took a reading this morning and it's down to 1012 - so something must be happening. I've got an electric blanket wrapped around it which keeps it around 22 - 23 degrees. I'll let you know how it all end up. Cheers :D :D

Archived