Coopers Community

Sparkling ale is to sweet

givemeanother

:shock:

:?: after following the coopers directions off the can i am finding that my brews are tasting fruity and at times it has a clove taste. :shock:

i am fermenting between 2 and 2 and a half weeks at around 26-28 degrees to achieve lowest final gravity and kegging for 4 weeks and carbonating for 48 hours under refrigeration. What am i doing wrong? The bought sparkling ale doesn't seem to have this fruity taste. Have tried Coopers Yeast supplied and Safale Yeast with the same result. Any clues to get it closer to bought product would be appreciated. (Happy with head retention, texture and alcohol content :D )

Jason :oops:

G'day Jason,

I moved your post from the beer forum.

When using dry yeast, the Sparkling Ale home brew does have a higher final gravity than the commercial version. It carries higher bitterness to balance against the residual sweetness but you may not be as sensitive to bitterness as others. This could explain why it is too sweet for your tastes.

Try for a ferment temp closer to 21C (even as low as 18C if you pitch a decent quantity of yeast - you could do this by using a stepped up culture from our commercial ales, detailed in Dec'06 Newsletter).

Paul,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Tend to think yeast is more the problem with fruity aromas. Have found your instructions on culturing commercial yeast from post (Franks article from Dec 2002 newsletter.

Just a couple more questions before I jump in though,

Will the yeast culture keep for extended periods, and if so how should it be stored ??

Can you culture further batches from the original batch and does this affect performance and characteristics or should I buy another couple longnecks to culture a new batch of commercial yeast each time ??

Just been using sachet yeasts to date . Wanting to get a similar taste to commercial Sparkling Ale . Have just cultured my first yeast from commercial Sparkling Ale dregs as instructed by previous beer banter tonight, but am wanting to know if it will keep and what method should be used to store newly cultured yeast and can I continue to propagate yeast from the same stock or should I be purchasing new longnecks to culture a new batch???

cheers

givemeanother

I store my cultured yeasts in a soft drink bottle which I have sanitised then store it in the fridge. In the fridge it will become dormant and keeps for 3 months. To reactivate remove it from the fridge and I add 2 teaspoons of sugar and enough warm/hot water to bring it to around 25 degrees. I then fit a bung with airlock to the yeast culture bottle and wait for the telltale bubbling. It is now active and ready to use again (usually 10 minutes or so). I use each culture about 3 times and then discard it and start a new one.

Archived