Coopers Community

Granite Belt Brewery selection at Hampton Festival

Ramjet

I live just down the road from Hampton (between Toowoomba and Crows Nest), and have been volunteering this week with preparation for Sunday's huge annual food and art festival. Couldn't help noticing lots of cartons from Granite Belt Brewery (near Stanthorpe) in the bar shed, and it turns out they've got at least four offerings - IPA, Irish red Ale, Wheat Beer, and a Porter (I think that's what the bar manager said).

Anyway, from checking out their website, looks like a nicely organised brewing setup, and I for one look forward to trying them all! love

(Looks like a cracker festival on Sunday, so if you're in the area, as Molly used to say - "Do yourself a favour...") Lots of wines there too.

edit - forgot to add: http://www.granitebeltbrewery.com.au/our-beer

Hi to you Ramjet how is the brewing going? That certainly looks like a good place to visit.I live in northern Nsw just over border and that is not too far away really,I can see myself visiting that brewery one weekend in the future to sample their wares and I see accomodation and restaurant available.Could stay there overnight and enjoy a few samples.Thanks for the info cheers Tezza

Hi Tezza

I was thinking along the same lines! I've been to the Granite Belt on a winery tour, and tasted some stunning wines - both white and red. But their beer degustation dinners (7 beers matched with 7 courses) is my idea of a jolly good night out. (Followed obviously by an overnight within staggering distance)

I believe their next one is planned for August.

Re the brewing - I have two all-grainers under my belt now, and just loving the step-up from kits and bits, even though it does make a "brew day" just that! If it weren't for the curiosity and satisfaction of brewing a beer from scratch (well, almost - I don't grow the barley or cultivate the yeast, but you know what I mean), then I reckon I'd be very happy with extract brewing with the addition of specialty grains and hops. But I've got all the gear I need now for 3V AG, and only a finite number of years remaining to do a lifetime's experimenting and tasting, which is why I'm setting up a local home-brewer's circle so we can all taste each other's latest and greatest, and not repeat our mistakes! (Well, not too often anyway...)

Pity you're not a bit closer.

I'll report back after tomorrow's festival and give my verdict on the above mentioned brews. Come on tomorrow!!!

Well, I managed to try only 2 - the IPA and the Porter. The IPA is a beautiful brew, crisp and clean, which went down a treat, and the Porter exhibited lovely roasted barley notes, not all that far removed from my first AG'er. From all reports, the customers were happy to try something other than mainstream beers.

So a good day at the Hampton Festival bar, and maybe an eye-opener for a few visitors who may never have tasted such a variety of beers in one day.

Hi Roger sounds like you had an interesting day and a chance to taste a few nice beers.If I get a chance to get up that way will definitely drop in to brewery and try a few.Sounds like you are really advanced with your brewing skills. I have only done k&k's and added a few hops and just starting to try a few different yeasts. But my brews are coming out darker than they should be and wondering if the kits I have been buying have been a bit hot sitting in hardware shop where In buy them,they are not old (have checked the date on tins).Also unable to access Coopers DME (light) in my area and buying dme from hardware and it is probably inferior to Coopers products so either need to buy from Coopers direct and order in bulk or travel about 50km to Tweed coast. Good luck with the 3v brewing a bit beyond me at this stage.If I can get to kits with grain additions one day I'll be happy All the best Tezza

Archived