Coopers Community

Honey Pale ALe

Basmataz

Hi all.

I was talking to my local homebrew shopkeeper about bees neez beer and using honey instead of sugar for homebrew. I really like the floral flavor of bees neez, and thought it would be fun to experiment and try something similar myself. I was thinking about using a Oringinal pale ale and 400 grams manuka honey with one kilo of dextrose. He reckons that'll give me a alcohol percent of about 5-6 %. I am trying manuka honey cause of the flavour and the fact that it is just a little bit different and healthier.

Has anyone else used honey before and have any tips? I was thinking about using about 2-3 liters boiling water to dilute the honey, dextrose and wort.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers..

Bastian

err, Yes!! Do a search in this forum on "honey".

Pretty much, any type of honey may be used in making beer - more judicious additions for the stronger flavoured honey (although this is entirely up to your personal taste).

You may want to reduce the quantity of dextrose. If you normally make a brew with 1kg of sugars, drop the dextrose back to about 700g with 400g of honey.

• 1 month later...

G'Day bastian,

I recently finished a Coopers Lager made using 1kg white sugar and 300g of "no name" honey, I know it sounds rough but the final product was awesome.

I bottled it at 1004 which put it at about 6.6% and tasted luuuurvvvlyyy.

Dont be afraid to play around with your ingredients you may strike gold in a bottle>

Cheers,

Mal

Archived