Coopers Community

Aquarium heater

Basmataz

An aquarium heater will do the job. Extra care needs to be taken, ensuring the heater is completely clean and sanitised before immersing it in the brew.

Personally - after my second heater deteriorated (through the rigours of cleaning the crusty muck off it and sanitising it), I gave the immersion heater concept the "flick" - I prefer to not have anything intruding into the brew.

Haven't looked at one for a while but if you want to ferment as low as 10-13degC an immersion heater may not be able to do the job??

gday, please let me share my tale of woe.

i bought a fishtank heater because i thought it would be a cheaper option that the belt or mat. i rewired the heater so i could thread the lead through a small hole i made in the lid and dangle the heater in the brew. first brew was ok but even though i soaked the hell out of the heater in bleach the second brew i did with it was mildly infected. there were just too many crevices near the temp controller.

after that i decided to buy a big carboy rubber plug, cut a hole through the middle of it and put the heating element through it, then melt a circular hole under the water (beer) line on the keg and put the plug in it. many hours later a had a tight fit.

first brew with the new heater placement i was stuggling with a full keg moving it from the laundry sink when POP. the heater cable got caught on a tap and pulled out the plug causing litres of my precious brew to go bye byes.

Admittedly since then (6 months ago) i have had no problems and temp control is very effective. i just leave it in the keg during sterilisation and the seal is very tight now, but for the money and time just buy a belt or something.

heater: $29.95

electrical plug set: around $13

rubber bung:$5

time and effort: PRICELESS and painful. many hours. :x

or/ belt:$40 something bucks and no effort at all :D [/img]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived