Coopers Community

Fermenter Thermometer

RandB

I bought the Coopers homebrew kit and I was wondering how accurate the theremometer is that you stick on the side of the fermenter barrel. It appears to be about 3 or 4 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature. Does this mean that, due to fermentation, the brew warms up slightly??

PS I have done the lager that comes with the kit and a Canadian Blonde with honey. Can't wait to taste them.

The temperature strip is reasonably accurate +/- 1degC. Yes, it is measuring the temperature of the brew. The brew may be hotter or colder than ambient - keeping in mind that the body of fluid will have some thermal inertia.

Yes, fermentation is an exothermic process but the brew is not likely to heat 3 to 4 degrees above ambient.

hey, just my 2 cents but i have found 2 or 3 degrees above ambient at the height of the fermentation to be quite normal for me. one brew i did where i pitched 2 packets of yeast at 28 degrees then covered with towels as it was quite cold (18 degrees ambient). one day later i was horrified to find a very vigourous ferment and a temp of 32 on the keg!

needless to say, quite a funky tasting brew, :oops:

all a learning curve!!

Archived