Coopers Community

Home Brew Heat Lamp

rushbuck

Hi, I'm new to home brewing and my question is in relation to heating a cabinet with a light bulb.

Frinds of mine brew quite happily using this method... by the way I picked up a 240 v digital thermostat controller from Jaycar in town for about $30, and it cycles the light on and off and maintains a given temperature...

But the Q is.. Do I need to reduce the brightness of the lamp (covering around it somehow) and make the cabinet dark but with controlled heat.. :?:

Is the yeast in beer damaged by bright light. Im using a couple of 75w light globes, and these do the trick really quickly... but I guess it's really bright in the old fridge.

If you can let me know I'd appreciate It :D

Thanks Paul,

Just in-case, I added a shield of thin tin to help with the heat distribution. I have the thermostat set to cycle around 25 degrees and the brew is bubbling away happily.

Cheers for the relpy

Adam :D

Now that you have good temperature control you can try fermenting at lower temperatures to see what positive effects (if any in your opinion) it has on your brew. Ale yeast can ferment quite happily at temperatures in the low twenties to high teens. Of course, the lower the temperature the longer the brew will take to reach FG.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rushbuck

I've been using the "T Chest" method complete with light bulb for years, but have been frustrated about the temperature control. I currently use a timer switch and have it set to come on at various intervals throughout the day. This works OK but I have to vary the settings depending on the seasons. I like the idea of your thermostat. Can you give me the name of the unit please?

Archived