Coopers Community

dark ale sugers

coreys6

how are we guys fairly new to the home brew scene upto batch 8 (wish i found out earlier [annoyed] ) names corey and am thinken about putting on the dark ale can, was just wondering what is the best sugers to use i just bottled a real ale with 1kg of brewing suger and had a taste test on the day and it was awsome

Hi Corey - What do you mean? Sugars for bottle priming or as primary fermentables?

If primary fermentables are what you mean I would say to avoid simple sugars and try and use more malt with maybe a small percentage of dextrose (up to around 250g for most recipes) if you want to up the alcohol a touch.

If you are talking about bottling sugar, I personally prefer basic whuite sugar if priming the bottles individually or dextrose if bulk priming. 1 CSR sugar cube per 740ml gives a good level of carbonation too....much better than a carb drop. But something to remember is that sugar cubes only fit into PET bottles not glass ones.

[pinched] Just re-read your post and saw you were talking about a dark ale...I don't make many dark ales but 1kg of LDM wouldn't go astray....or even better also grab a can of Pale Ale and some hops and make a SMOTY ALe.

I don't make many dark beers so haven't really got any special recipes to suggest.

ye i was meaning the primery fermentables im just trying everything once ive come to like the be2 from what i read that is a mixture of dex, ldm and maltodextrin, and have been thinken to change to a white suger for bottling im using the carb drops at the moment

ye i ended up using be2 with the dark ale but also chucked down a draught can with a lemon and lime squeezed and boiled in 2L of water for bout 10-15 min with 1kg of white suger just as a lil cheap experiment so far so good both smellen nice

Archived