Coopers Community

Dark Ale - Tell me all about it

Howdy Brewthren, I put down a Coopers dark ale yestidy with a kilo of dark dried malt and 200g of dark brown sugar (left over from a scratch ginger beer, it smells really nice). I did a 20min boil with some EKG hops, and then at flameout (lol)i chucked in some fuggles and about 10g of amarillo. Have I just made the Next Big Thing in homebrew? Anyone tried anything like this? Gonna chuck some more EKG at it at day 4, and the yeast was from the kit (with some other 5g pack of yeast that was in the fridge (either black rock pilsener or Morgans IPA)

Hiya L.O.T.D.

Your recipe sounds Yum! The Amarillo hops additive is the interesting part to me. How long did you "steep" the Fuggles & Amarillo for? At flameout it becomes purely for aroma (I think?)

I haven't personally done a dark brew yet, but trust me, towards the end of next summer, I will be probing our brewtheren on this forum for recipe suggestions.

If you have turned to the 'Dark Side' LOTD, there are some great guys on this forum that I bet will start to offer up suggestions of adding grain mash cookups into your brew. From what I've read, true grain mash cooks are the way to produce deep rewarding flavours particularly in this style.

Let us know how this brew turned out. [happy]

When I brewed up the OS dark ale can,I added 3lbs of Munton's plain amber DME with an ounce each of East Kent golding & German Haulertaur. It came out a very clear dark brown,almost black,with a ruby glow when held to the light. Creamy too,with just a bit of roastiness on the back. Good dark sessionable ale.

Archived