Coopers Community

Ideal fermenter time

Tassie brew

Hey guys, I was just wondering how long I should leave my brew in the fermenter before I bottle it to get the best quality???

Obviously until fermentation is complete but is it worthwhile to leave it in there a bit longer....

I'm not sure but I thought I'd check so that I can get the best quality of beer.

Cheers,

Tassie

I think these four things have more effect on the final quality of your beer: quality ingredients, thorough sanitation, healthy yeast and correct ferment temperature.

Even after you get all these right, you may find that the final brew is good quality but not a style that suits your taste. For example, Duvel is an excellent quality beer but I just can't warm to it!!

A brew left in primary, after fermentation is complete, should clear a bit more (sedimentation phase). Apart from that, there is no real advantage in leaving it in the primary vessel.

Thanks for that Paul...

So leaving the brew in there for 2 weeks won't hurt the brew at all????

After my brew ferments out (according to my hydrometer) is it normal for the water level in the air lock to level out (eg: be equal on both sides)???

I have had an airtight seal the whole time and the water level has levelled out over the last day or so (it has been in the fermenter 10 days now).

Does this indicate that CO2 is no longer being released due to fermentation being complete??????

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Some years ago, I left an ale brew in fermenter for 3 weeks with no ill effects, but the longer a brew is left in the fermenter the greater the risk of spoilage. The brew in fermenter at home at the moment is a lager running at 10degC and I expect it to take about 3 weeks to finish.

Regardless of how good you think the seal is - DON'T TRUST YOUR AIRLOCK!!

Once the SG has stablised, checked with a hydrometer over a couple of days, there should be minimal CO2 produced.

Archived