Coopers Community

It worked

After playing around with trying to rinse S04 and only succeeding once I moved onto liquid yeast, Wyeast 1275. From the first batch I collected two separate jars of yeast. I pitched one immediately, without a starter, into a Stout and refrigerated the other for later use. In the fridge this ended up as 80ml of compact almost pure yeast. I made a starter, see my signature, and it fired up after about 10 hours. Put down my brew yesterday and with this starter and this morning it's going great guns.

Thames Valley Pale Ale

Coopers APA kit

1kg Coopers LDM

300g Medium Crystal 120

15g Topaz @ 10 mins

25g Topaz @ 5 mins

20g Topaz @ 3 mins

Kit yeast added to the boil

80ml Wyeast 1275 rinsed from an English Bitter (on 02/08/2012 OG of 1.037)

OG = 1.041 pitched at 16'C and brought up to 18'C.

Really looking to be successful in rinsing the yeast from this brew as well for an IPA & EB

[lol] nice one indeed [lol]

Couple of questions/things though.

Was that just a small starter not stirred or aerated? ie a mini ferment?

From what Ive researched, heavily hopped beers such as IPA's are not the best to repitch or reculture yeast from as 'aparently' the hop oils coat the cell walls of the yeast and make it harder on them to reproduce (as well as eat) and stressed yeast are not the friend of the brewer, Ive never noticed the difference though, and nor have I run the side by side experiment to prove/discredit this theory, but you should be aware of it though.

Its said, as a rule of thumb that with your yeast, go from a weaker/same gravity to higher and/or darker brew, not from higher to lower or dark to light.

for examplee, I might do a couple of APA's at 1050-55 with moderate hopping and then into to a 1070 IPA then if I REALLY wanted to push them do something Imperial... after that the yeast have had enough [rightful]

any beer over 5% is starting to get a bit toxic to the yeast as well so it kinda makes sense. Flog the horse till it's done and then.. you know.. put a bullet in it [crying] Poor Yeasties

Will generally get 4 cycles out of a pitch 'just' from rinsing/repitching... the stirplate had been added now and adds a whole other dimension[love]

[bandit] [ninja]

Was that just a small starter not stirred or aerated? ie a mini ferment?

I'd call it a mini ferment. Does aerating speed up the start?

From what Ive researched, heavily hopped beers such as IPA's are not the best to repitch or reculture yeast from

Now there's a contradiction of terms, especially relative to Yob the heavy hopper and master yeast rinser [biggrin] . It\u2019s all relative I guess, I can\u2019t imagine that I would end up heavy on the hops, that amount of Topaz is pretty much at my top end. I assume that 60 grams would be at the lower end for you Yob.

Its said, as a rule of thumb that with your yeast, go from a weaker/same gravity to higher and/or darker brew, not from higher to lower or dark to light.

I've heard about the SG rule of thumb but not the dark/light rule. That really complicates things, my EB was certainly a lot darker than the Pale Ale (which could have been a bit darker I guess). Also I was planning on pitching the yeast from my stout into a Porter. Here's a dilemma, the stout is the darker brew but the Porter is the higher ABV i.e. Stout OG = 1.045, EBC = 104; Porter OG = 1.053, EBC = 68.

a mini ferment is OK and will work..

with a stirplate, you get about twice the growth in half half the time [rightful]

Different processes though and both have their own nuances.

edit: last beer I brewed was an IIPA with 225g of hops [w00t] [whistling

Yob

Archived