Coopers Community

Suggestions for an Apple Cider Yeast

Jarvo_325

Hey

My last batch was a brigalow Apple Cider.

I was wondering what yeasts people use for an apple cider?

Would a regular beer yeast make it taste too beer like?

I hear that wine yeast makes it really dry?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey jarvo have never actually made a cider but definatly in the future. Im sure any yeast will do fine but as you said some may leave a dry taste etc depends what you like. I have heard champainge yeast works well or as smithy said the Wyeast even better if a cider strain.

Here is a video of some experementing by 2 yanks who i like to follow who mainly do all grain beer but gave it a go a few times.

Scroll down to look at more vids etc and archived old vids from each year

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=january-30-2011---simple-cider

Ive just made one from juice, beer yeast (Coopers) and dextrose, the yeast finished at 1.013ish (started at 1.080) and the cider is on the sweet side, Ive heard more alcohol tolerant yeasts like champagne will ferment more fully and make the cider taste (quoted from the internet) like 'firewater'

My next batch Im toying with the idea of using the cleaner champagne yeast and stopping the fermentation myself at my desired gravity.

Wyeast are great yeasts but will bump up your cost.

Hey jarvo have never actually made a cider but definatly in the future. Im sure any yeast will do fine but as you said some may leave a dry taste etc depends what you like. I have heard champainge yeast works well or as smithy said the Wyeast even better if a cider strain.

Here is a video of some experementing by 2 yanks who i like to follow who mainly do all grain beer but gave it a go a few times.

Scroll down to look at more vids etc and archived old vids from each year

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=january-30-2011---simple-cider

Thanks Mate

very good and informative video. There pretty knowledgeable blokes.

The mention something about back sweetening and coincidently Craigtube did a piece on that this week on Homebrew Wednesdays.

No worries mate had a look at that vid very interesting ill definatly be getting some of those ingredients and giving something like that a go. It explains a little more than the video i linked which is good.

Im interested now to what your recepe will be after all these ideas floating around and the vids now i have 2 brew videos to watch good luck mate.

Archived