Coopers Community

Expired Canadian Toucan

LucienA

Hey all,

I was given a bunch of old cans of malt and wort (expired between 2005-2009) and today pitched two cans of Coopers Canadian Blonde that expired in 2007. They tasted fine and looked good so thought there could be no harm in taking a stab.

I used a fresh dry yeast from a Pale Ale can and also steeped 15g Cascade hops pellets into it the brew.

Having never made a Canadian Blonde before, any ideas on what to expect from a Canada Toucan?

Know if the fact that these are past their best before will affect taste?

Cheers

Lucien

No idea about the Canadian toucan. However, the older the beer the more it will impact on taste, this is a fact.

"Fresh is best, dump the rest."

If the cans expired in 2007 then odds are they were made in 2005 which is 7 years old [pinched]

Ah damn! 7 years is a long time...

Well, it's bubbling away now and I guess I'll just see what happens.

Has anybody used expired liquid malt cans with success?

The same guy I got all the ingredients from also gave me 8 crates of beer brewed between 2005 and 2009... They'd been sitting in the dark in his garage and, much to my surprise, there are some absolutely incredible tasting beers among them. I'm going to stay optimistic.

Hey Lucien nice name by the way do you watch the underworld series? As bill said id toss it i have recently had experience with old product sold to me at a good rate and told it would be fine.

I have used a can of TC Light Dry Malt that was 6 months past best before and although it was still not too bad with The fresh Aus Pale Ale tin a well looked after Us 05 yeast, crystal malt, dextrose and hops i also used in recepie it was still noticable.

I then even more stupidly bought a Morgans Bishops English Bitter from the same bloke Expiry 2009. It was pitch black crap came out of can it didnt disolve properly everything went wrong. I added shit load of amarillo hops to try and mask it after 6 days in Fv i pulled the plug wasted a shit load of money. Id toss it mate save the trouble sorry to hear youve been stooped. 6 months max if stored right otherwise dont risk it

Ah damn! 7 years is a long time...

Well, it's bubbling away now and I guess I'll just see what happens.

Has anybody used expired liquid malt cans with success?

The same guy I got all the ingredients from also gave me 8 crates of beer brewed between 2005 and 2009... They'd been sitting in the dark in his garage and, much to my surprise, there are some absolutely incredible tasting beers among them. I'm going to stay optimistic.

With beer that has already been brewed and bottled/kegged then I wouldn't toss them unless I tasted them first. Quite often they are still worthy of drinking. However, the old cans are certainly not worth the hassle.

Good luck with it.

Just in case anyone stumbling across this wants to know what happened with the Canadian Toucan I'd started before posting this: I dry hopped another 15g cascade pellets at 3 days and now after 9 days it's sitting in the secondary and tasting delicious.

Archived