Coopers Community

Sparkling Ale

Timmsy

Hi im new to the Coopers club but have been drinking it for a while. My favourite is Sparkling and i wana brew a batch. What is the recipie and best way on brewing it. Like any tips if i have to clean things diff thats ought of thing and where can i get it??

Be seeing you in the forum and look forward to all the good advice

Cheers

G'day Timmsy!

Sparkling Ale Home Brew (image on the homebrew page of our website, BREWCANS, Premium Selection) is available at all good home brew stores or on-line.

Why not start with the recipe on the side of the can:

1.5kg Light Malt Extract,

500g Light Dry Malt,

300g Dextrose/Sugar.

• 2 months later...

Timmsy,

Regarding your Sparkling Ale - I gather you are having some issues with attenuation.

From which Home Brew Shop did you get your converter back and did the salesperson tell you what is in it?

Also, what temp is the ferment running at?

• 1 month later...

I got the converter pack at Back and Brew on Prospect Road and no thay didnt tell what was in it. Also the temp i brewed it at was at about 23degress and i racked it on day 5. Thay have been bottles for a monthy now and im going to cold condition them for 2weeks before i try them. I hope thay turn out nice as i love Sparkling. Either way im going to do another one to get me stocks up

G'day Timmsy,

the idea of "cold conditioning" bottles for a couple of weeks may sound like a good idea but it won't actually do anything. The main player in your bottles is the yeast - it will clean up the flavour and aroma profile of your brew but the bottles need to be at or above 18degC for this to happen.

Many brewers report that this brew is not at its best early in the bottle but the flavours meld together over a few months.

Another thing to try would be using the yeast culture from a few bottles of our conditioned ales (as well as the yeast sachet).

Also, if you haven't made the brew to the recipe recommended on the side of the can - I think you should try it at least once, even just to compare!

Yeah im going to give it a shot for sure. Im going to have a looksy at my local HBS next week and proberlly pick another kit up. It is by far my favourite Coopers drop so i will give it a shot by the book.

Yeast Culture ive never heard of it nor tried it?

You can find lots of advice/methods/recipes on how to grow up the yeast culture found in the bottom of our conditioned ales - one of our old newsletters details a method (Dec 2002 download in pdf form from the members' site).

• 4 weeks later...

I tasted my sparkling a few ago and wasnt that all impressed with it but put a couple more in the fridge and thay have matured alot more and got a killa taste. Am going to leave them longer and thay will be even better. I will diffently be making this one again but sticking to the coopers recepie

Archived