Coopers Community

Dark LCPA

MitchellS2

I've previously made a LCPA clone which came out similar to a LCPA and I liked it more than a LCPA. The recipe was:

1x Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught

1x 1.5kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Extract

300g Dextrose

2 x Cascade finishing hops tea bags

I've decided to make something similar but i want to darken it up. So I have gone for the following:

1x Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught

1x 1.5kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Extract

500g Dry Amber Malt

500g Crystal Malt (steeped for 20mins at 70C)

25g POR (60min)

10g Cascade (15min)

10g Cascade (FO)

Please leave your thoughts and any suggestions.

Cheers [biggrin]

Hey Mitch

I made one that wasn't as dark or as bitter as yours. It's only two months bottled and is pretty good. The POR is going to make this one more bitter than the first one but perhaps that's what you like. I tasted my worst brew on Sunday (My Real Fat Yak {Yuk} at 1 month) IBU = 38.5 ABV 5.5%, for me really bitter it looks like doing a lot of time in storage. So apart from the IBU yours sounds alright. My slightly dark LCPA clone is here EBC 19.8. You may need to check the amount of Crystal too, I am unsure but 500g may be too much.

Yeah wasn't sure if i should of used the whole 500g of crystal malt but i wasn't sure how long you could keep cracked grain for so i thought "bugger it" and used the whole lot.

So how long can you keep cracked grain??

I wouldn't bother adding the POR.

Provided the Grain has been kept sealed and in cool and dry conditions it will last for several months. However, fresh is best.

Use half the grain this brew and half the next and next time just order the grain and crack it yourself when you need it.

Archived