Coopers Community

Bushy Park Blonde Ale

Eddie Amarillo\u2019s on a scientific, Draught kit observation

Head retention crook after considerable consumption. [biggrin]

In drawing inspiration from the poet Weggl I am going to pause my brewing discovery tour and focus on the Draught kit, for the next two Brews at least. What I wish to determine is what the ingredients I have been using bring to the beer. Some may say that I should have done this in the first place, but back then it seemed boring. But now that Warren has penned his poem the experiment appears exciting.

So here it is:

Bushy Park Blonde Ale MkI

1.7 kg Coopers OS draught

1kg generic light malt extract (from Brew By You, Moonah)

300g Dextrose

300g Carapils steeped 30 mins at 65'C

25g Hallertauer @ 10 mins

15g Hallertauer @ 5 mins

kit yeast

23 litres

Bushy Park Blonde Ale MkII

1.7 kg Coopers OS draught

1kg generic light malt extract (from Brew By You, Moonah)

300g Dextrose

300g Medium Crystal steeped 30 mins at 65'C

25g Hallertauer @ 10 mins

15g Hallertauer @ 5 mins

kit yeast

23 litres

I have only one FV so these brews will be bottled at a minimum 10 days apart. I will try to save at least one of my current OS Draught brews (although the entire batch is chilled and ready to drink). Mark III will be a couple of months away but will involve Coopers LME and re-cultured Coopers commercial yeast.

I love the name!!...

I do think you are going about it the wrong way though. What I would do is MkI being no steeping at all, MkII I would steep Carapils and MkIII I would steep Medium Crystal. Then you will get to know what both Crystals bring to the brew. The way you are doing it you will only tell the difference between the 2 but have no idea of the base. If you know what I mean.

Nevertheless, your brew, you are drinking it and your experiment. Therefore, you can do what ever you want [cool]

Brew by you [alien] With regards to the experience I have had with them, they have no idea. Although I haven't been there for a while now, do they still keep hops out of the fridge? [pinched]

I love the name!!...

I was hoping for some Hallertauer hops fresh from the estate but the Wife\u2019s Aunt says their only just going up the vines.

[rightful] Edit: I've not seen too many Blondes at Bushy Park either, the pool was closed last time I was there [biggrin]

The way you are doing it you will only tell the difference between the 2 but have no idea of the base.

Nevertheless, your brew,

I see what you mean Bill, my base is an unhopped OS Lager that is malty but one that my son and potential son in law say is the best brew I have done so far. What I am attempting initially is bringing some balance to the Brew with the hops and some head retention with the Carapils. In MkII I am using the Medium Crystal because it brings caramel notes along with head retention. The way I read it Carapils brings nothing other than head retention to the beer.

Brew by you [alien] With regards to the experience I have had with them, they have no idea. Although I haven't been there for a while now, do they still keep hops out of the fridge? [pinched]

Yeah they still have them on a display shelf in the shop. SWMBO got most of my ingredients from Amanda today, hops out of the fridge and I am storing them in the freezer. I have got my 2kg of Malt and I am not sure I will go back, THBS is very price competitive with Craft Brewer although the selection is not as great.

• 1 month later...
I love the name too' date=' must be harvesting time up there now. [/quote']

It certainly is, it looks really nice up there and I am glad the fires didn't get them. I'd take some phots but wouldn't know how to post them here.

So how did the brew go?

Suffered a huge setback waiting for that Ginger Beer to Brew. But final SG has been reached, 1.11 and it tastes good from the FV. Bottles tomorrow?

I love the name too' date=' must be harvesting time up there now. [/quote']

It certainly is, it looks really nice up there and I am glad the fires didn't get them. I'd take some phots but wouldn't know how to post them here.

So how did the brew go?

Suffered a huge setback waiting for that Ginger Beer to Brew. But final SG has been reached, 1.11 and it tastes good from the FV. Bottles tomorrow?

Yes that's very true, pretty lucky to escape that.

You could upload some photos on websites like photobucket or flickr. Its like an online album. All you need to do is open an account and start uploading. Then all you need to do is post the direct link to the photo.

Archived