Coopers Community

ginger beer - from scratch (attn: Tassie brewers)

Phil Mud

Hi guys,

I'd like to make a ginger beer from scratch, and would like to approximate Gillespie's Ginger beer which i think is only available (but very popular) in Tassie.

Just wondering if any of the Tassie members have any thoughts about what Gillespie's do; what kind of yeast, what kind of fermentables etc.

I've found a few 'from scratch' recipes online, but also plenty that use DME and LME - not sure I'd want a malty taste to the beer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I found this on their website - maybe a few hints there? You might need to source some Tasmannia lanceolata though!

Dan

Gillespie\u2019s Ginger Beer originates in Northern England, specifically in Allan\u2019s childhood home of Chester Le Street in Durham County near Newcastle. While it was necessary to alter the recipe for commercial production the product remains true to original brewed in the bottle process and thus maintains the fullness of body and zest that is lacking in carbonated ginger beers. It differs from others by using a rawer, drier ginger which is unground. This implants an unique flavour that a ginger beer drinker will note has no overpowering aftertaste.

The alcoholic product uses the original ginger beer as a base with a mixture of native Tasmanian pepper berries and West Indian lime juice. The pepper berry has a soft flavour which complements that of the ginger as it slowly develops in the mouth. The lime juice serves to take away the slight edge that the pepper berry also presents.

Ha! I should have known there would be a native Tassie ingredient. The state based patriotism of Tasmanians is peerless! When food is involved I can see why... except for scallop pies, that's just wrong.

The pepper berries will be easy to come by - my in laws live in Hobart.

Thanks for that Kearnage

Ha! I should have known there would be a native Tassie ingredient. The state based patriotism of Tasmanians is peerless! When food is involved I can see why... except for scallop pies, that's just wrong.

The pepper berries will be easy to come by - my in laws live in Hobart.

Thanks for that Kearnage

[love] [love] [love] scallop pie [love] [love] [love]

[love] [love] [love] scallop pie [love] [love] [love]

I only have a sample of one to go on (from Orford) and I couldn't help imagining the plump little scallops being put to good use, seared in my pan with a piquant salsa instead of in pastry with a creamy sauce. I'll have another crack next time I'm down.

Archived