Coopers Community

Choc-orange wheat beer.

StuartF2

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping PB2 will chime in on this as its his recipe that i'm asking about [innocent]

I loved the sound of this recipe and am going to use wheat beer kit, 1.5 can of liquid wheat malt extract, 150g of roasted malt ( when or if i can find it!) 100g of chocolate malt 50g of orange peel and maybe 20-25 of coriander seed. Would adding hops to this be a good idea? I have some Hallertau, am I right in saying they're slightly citrus? Would they go with this recipe?

Any tips greatly appreciated,

Stu.

Personally, I would leave out the hops for a Wit is all about the malt and yeast. The spice additions (orange and coriander) may get lost.

You don't state which Hallertauer - Traditional, Aromatic. U.S, Pacific, Gold or Mittlefruh... I haven't used them for a couple of years, but my notes say, generally, slightly flowery and mildly spicy.

I made a Faux Saison recently using Cooper's kits with the addition of home made Belgian Candi Syrup, freshly ground Coriander Seeds and Orange Peel (15 grams ea). Highly refreshing palate cleanser.

I haven't got around to making this recipe since suggesting to bump up the Orange Zest and Coriander to 50g and 30g. [sleeping]

As Newtown said, you don't want the hops to get in the way of the other additives.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Newtown, I think the hallertau I bought must just be traditional as it doesn't give much other info on the vacuum pack.

I think ill just leave them out then.

That brew you did with the candy syrup sounds nice.

PB2 how long should I boil the orange zest and coriander for? Or should I just throw them into the FV?

Archived