Coopers Community

Can it get too hot for fermerntation to occur ??

c46543

Hi I'm a brand new brewer and recently put a brew on with the help of a very experienced brewer so I'm assuming all was done properly !

The first time I checked on the brew after 2 days it appeared there'd been a major bit of bubbling as you could smell it in the room and feel some stickiness on the outside lid of the tub. I topped up the airlock and left it. Since then there's been no movement at the inn at all. There's sediment at the bottom, it comes out a bit frothy and there look like there's a layer of scum.

I store the wort in my lock up garage which has a tin roof and recently it's been mid 30s in the sun. What gives ??? can it get too hot for the yeast ?

Finally to bottle or not to bottle ??? Grateful for any advice at all.

Thanks

Ryan

G'day Ryan,

welcome aboard!!

Hard to say if the brew is too hot for the yeast without knowing what the brew is.

Lager yeast will not survive beyond 37.5degC while Ale yeast will keep working above 40degC. High temperature fermentations finish very quickly but can produce nasty odours and flavours.

Never trust your airlock as an indicator of fermentation activity!

You can check fermentation has finished when you get two specific gravity readings the same over two days. Try the sample and if it smells and tastes like beer...bottle off!

Archived