Coopers Community

Real Canadian Toucan

I put this one down 6 Months ago today. I really like hoppy brew and tend to brew beer that most folk might pucker when sampling. I even puckered when sampling this one myself until today. After half a year this one is quite a good drop![biggrin] It's still hoppy as hell and only for the more adventurous Hopheads.

Real Canadian Toucan

1.7Kg Real Ale

1.7Kg Canadian Blonde

42g Cascade 5mins

42g Cascade dry hop

15g kit yeast starter

23L water

189g Dex for bulk prime

OG 1.052

ABV 6.1%

I dare ya![devil]

Chad

I put this one down 6 Months ago today. I really like hoppy brew and tend to brew beer that most folk might pucker when sampling. I even puckered when sampling this one myself until today. After half a year this one is quite a good drop![biggrin] It's still hoppy as hell and only for the more adventurous Hopheads.

Real Canadian Toucan

1.7Kg Real Ale

1.7Kg Canadian Blonde

42g Cascade 5mins

42g Cascade dry hop

15g kit yeast starter

23L water

189g Dex for bulk prime

OG 1.052

ABV 6.1%

I dare ya![devil]

Chad

Puckering?

Must be hockey terminology. I don't find around 50 IBUs to be that bitter. Like a mid style English IPA.

The 5 min boil and dry hopping are only adding flavour and aroma. The bittering hops are already in the extract and, @23 litres, come out to approx 23 IBU for the Blonde and 30 IBU for the Ale.

A 60 min boil with 42 grams cascade @ 7.8%AA would add an additional 21 IBU, bringing it up to 75 IBU! An Imperial Canadian IPA !

I Dare Ya [devil]

I have a truckload of cascade that I bought from the US when the Aus. dollar hit parity and will give this a shot.

I think you missed 1/2 KG of DME or maybe 1/2 KG BE2 ? It calculates, @23 litres, to an OG of 1.046 for just the two cans and and ABV of 4.5% before priming... Or, pehaps, it was a 20 litre brew...

Hi Newtown,

I surely can't argue about the IBU points and all because I don't know a thing about them and could care less. I didn't mention that i put down this brew back when I thought it was prudent to boil the wort (both kits and 12L water)for at least an hour until the good folks at the guild showed me the light. I don't know if that would change the IBU points or not.

I am going off the notes I made 6 months ago. They state that I pitched the 15g of yeast at 24C for an SG of 1.050 + 2 for temperature correction. This is not taking in to the equation the 4 Tbls of dex that when into the starter. Besides, I ran the 3.4Kgs of LME through the Brewcraft calculator and it came up with an SG of 1.050 at 23L. I'm not going to argue over .002 SG. I didn't record the volume of water in my notes because back then all my brews were made to 23L.

The tasting note would read: A ton of fruity aroma in the nose when you raise the glass with a full malty (not full monty[biggrin] ) taste/feel and a bitter finish.

Chad

P.S. I double dare ya![devil][devil]

[biggrin]

Hi Newtown,

I surely can't argue about the IBU points and all because I don't know a thing about them and could care less. I didn't mention that i put down this brew back when I thought it was prudent to boil the wort (both kits and 12L water)for at least an hour until the good folks at the guild showed me the light. I don't know if that would change the IBU points or not.

I am going off the notes I made 6 months ago. They state that I pitched the 15g of yeast at 24C for an SG of 1.050 + 2 for temperature correction. This is not taking in to the equation the 4 Tbls of dex that when into the starter. Besides, I ran the 3.4Kgs of LME through the Brewcraft calculator and it came up with an SG of 1.050 at 23L. I'm not going to argue over .002 SG. I didn't record the volume of water in my notes because back then all my brews were made to 23L.

The tasting note would read: A ton of fruity aroma in the nose when you raise the glass with a full malty (not full monty[biggrin] ) taste/feel and a bitter finish.

Chad

P.S. I double dare ya![devil][devil]

[biggrin]

Sounds nice. What about colour? The boiling would change the hop profile and colour for sure and may increase bitterness.

I guess Brewcraft uses a different figure for the ferment ability of the kits.

This is a great Excel spreadsheet that is very accurate!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29655&view=findpost&p=644029

Archived