Coopers Community

All Grain Coopers Pale Ale

AussieJosh

Im giving this a crack today! I have the boil going right now....

3.75 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (4.0 EBC)Grain 93.75 %

0.20 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.4 EBC) Grain 5.00 %

0.03 kg Crystal Dark Bairds (240.0 EBC) Grain 1.25 %

60 min 28.00 gm Pride of Ringwood

coopers Pale Ale recultured yeast

23L

Does it look alright Paul?

Fingers crossed! [happy]

Hey Josh, i know you directed this at Paul, but may i offer some suggestions:

Seems a very low amount of grain for your expected volume - are you trying to get a light pale ale? I would reduce the final volume down to 18-19 litres to get around 4% in the keg, or 4.5% in the bottle. Hope you mashed in around 65-67?

Ive done 4.2kg BB malt, 0.2kg Wheat and 0.05kg light crystal to make 22ish litres and the result was alright, a nice quaffable 5%ish beer. Personally, i would up the PoR addition if you are doing stovetop as you would loose some of your utilisation. Around 30g should give you the proper IBU's.

All in all, i think it looks ok, but, if you do it again in the future, add more base malt to up the alcohol, or reduce your final volume & adjust your hops to take into consideration final volume and hops utilisation.

Greg

Aussie, it sounds okay. But, as Greg said, it's likely to be a bit low on alcohol - this is also dependent on your mash efficiency. Making it to 20litres may have got you closer to the mark. At 23 litres, it will be closer to Mild Ale (add 15g of Saaz at flameout and you would be just about there) [biggrin]

You probably already have it fermenting by now - what OG did you get?

OG: 1.034

So i think it will be a mid strength beer, but when i put about 75g of dex in the keg to condition it it should be close to 4%?

Im a little concerned....after about 24 hrs in the fermenter there is no visable signs of fermentation... (No condensation on the cling warp and no beer krausen forming :( It was sitting on about 15c today (I have a lager fermenting in the fridge)So i just put the heat pad next to the ale to bump up the temp a bit. Fingers crossed it starts fermenting! if there are still no signs tomorrow ill take a reading, If no luck ill consider putting more yeast in. (I used 5 bottles of reactivated yeast, and i have another 4 reactivating now.

YAY! it now has about a 1cm white krausen,there is condensation on the cling wrap and its puffed up a bit!

Thanks goodness for that!

Im very much looking forward to this beer! As Coopers Pale ale is one of my fave comercial beers and its my first time reactivating yeast.

Archived