Coopers Community

Dunkel

Rossoblu

I have a spare Coopers Aussie Lager kit, and was thinking of trying to make a German Dunkel/Norwegian Bayer out of it. I tried to get to a Dunkel with a Dark Ale kit and 1kg Dark Spraymalt, but the result was slightly bitter.

Is there a way I can make a Dunkel using the Aussie Lager kit, Spraymalt and perhaps a Lager Yeast?

Any help is appreciated.

G'day Rossoblu, and welcome to the forum.

I must say I like your taste in beer.

It's my opinion that the Coopers Lager kit is a good place to start as it has an appropriate level of bitterness. To make a Dunkel using spraymalt, the Kit and Lager yeast should be pretty easy, provided you can keep your ferment temp under control.

1.7kg Coopers lager kit

1.0kg Dark spraymalt

11g Sachet Saflager W34/70

Make to 21 Litres

If you can make a sizeable starter and pitch at around 12 degrees I'd do that, if not then try top pitch your yeast at about 20deg. then drop to 10 degrees after about 12 hours. Try to ferment at 10 degrees if possible. It will take longer to ferment out but worth the effort. If low ferment temp is a problem then go for a neutral ale yeast like Nottingham or US-05.

Hope this helps.

Borris

Yeah, it'll be fairly malty. Not such a bad thing in a dunkel though.

IBU of 31.5 pre ferment is slightly high for style and O.G. slightly low. If the first version made with a Dark ale kit was too bitter the lager kit version might work out alright.

Could maybe benefit from 1/2 kilo of dextrose and some Carafa Spec grain but that would be moving away from just the lager kit, spraymalt and lager yeast. Are you up for it Rossoblu?

Thanks for the replies, and thanks to Boris for the advice. I am up for doing it, and am interested in adding Carafa grains. Is it a malt type? As I said the Dark Ale kit was good, but was too bitter, and could have been more roasty/nutty. Ideally I am trying to make a Norwegian Bayer Beer. They are based on a Dunkel. I could throw in 250g Demerera Sugar? How would I go about adding the Carafa?

As for the temperature, I am thinking of doing it when its winter, when the average outside temperature is -20c!

Thanks for the advice.

As for the temperature, I am thinking of doing it when its winter, when the average outside temperature is -20c!

[surprised Montreal? Ottawa? That's damn cold!

I haven't tried a Bayer Dunkel. Not sure if you can get it out here but will have a look.

If you can get your hands on 200g cracked Carafa special II you can put it to good use. It's made from de-husked roasted malt grains and an authentic ingredient in Munich Dunkels.I'd go this way, but it's just my opinion:

1.7Kg Coopers lager kit

1.0kg light spraymalt

300g dextrose or demarrara sugar

200g Carafa spec II

11.5g saflager W34/70

Make to 21 litres

Try to make a good size sarter, around 2 litres if possible. pitch at a fairly low temperature, about 15 degrees if you can, but don't worry if it's a bit warmer than that. Leave your fermenter in a part of the house or garage that keeps a reasonably constant temp around 10 degrees.

To use your carafa grains you need to steep them. A stainless steel thermos works well for this if you have one. Fill 3/4 with a mix of 2-2.5 cups boiling water and 1 cup cold then add your grains. Don't worry if it overflows a bit but try not to burn your hand. Let stand for 60-90 mins. Strain into a large pot using a fine mesh strainer then rinse your grains in around 1.5 litres 70deg.water. Top up to four litres and bring to the boil. Boil 10 mins then remove from heat. Add spraymalt and can of goop adn stir to dissolve. Let cool for a while, even in a sink full of snow if you have some. Add to fermenter and top up as usual.

Sorry if any of this is stuff you already know. I don't mean to be rude.

Cheers

Borris

There have been a few threads regarding Dunkels on this site, so might be worth haviing a look with the search function as well.

Thanks for all the advice Borris. I dont know much about Malt and grains so thats perfect for me. 2 more questions:

1)Should I go with light spraymalt or dark?

2) How long will fermentation take with the Lager yeast?

The -20 is in Norway, where I am. Its cold in winter!

If using 200g of carafa I'd go for light spraymalt. without the carafa I'd use dark spraymalt.

Fermentation should be done inside 2 weeks but of course use the hydrometer and an extra two weeks for the yeast to clean up byproducts of fermentation (which should be minimal at low ferment temperastures anyway) wouldn't be a bad thing.

You may wish to look at racking and lagering also. It depends how far you want to go.

Archived