Coopers Community

bottle temp

c45891

G,day all i,m a new member to the home brewing scene and live in central Qld so the temp is hot ,bloody hot, i know i have to find a place around the 10*C mark to put my bottles 5 days after capping , but even with air,cons there is no way to get that temp @ to turn the fridge up would spoil food or other drinks , so what to do is the question i ask any other brewers yours thankfuly KIRK.

G'day Kirk,

welcome to our message board. I moved your post from Beer Banter to Home Brew.

Assuming you are using an ale yeast...

You need to keep your bottles at 18degC or above for the first 7days or so to allow secondary fermentation to occur. After that, temperature is not so critical...like any food or beverage it is a good idea to not store your brew in conditions that are too hot.

If you can manage to store the bottles in temperatures below 35degC it would be a bonus.

thanks Paul, i am keeping the bottles around 26*C as well as my next brew, my first batch was a larger @ the brew bubbling away nicely is the pale ale witch seems to be fermenting so much quicker , is that due to the different brews or i,v done something wrong. KIRK

Hi Kirk,

I don't think you have done anything wrong but the yeast in the pale ale is probably doing it's work (eating sugars) with a bit more gusto than the lager yeast does.

I brew my ales at 21 degC and am convinced the lower temperature definately makes a better beer.

Cheers,

Al

here,s to yar BigAl . what you,ve said must be true cause your a FORD driver , only an BA XR6 for me , because i have to let the misses drive , so stuff risking a GT, cheers anyway but the temp is guna be my biggest drama , yours truely KIRK.. go 888

Kirk,

what ever you do, don't use the airlock activity as an indication of the rate of fermentation. From brew to brew you may achieve a more complete seal or not...the act of screwing down the lid as hard as possible does not guarantee a good seal.

Taking daily samples and measuring the density with your hydrometer is the only way to monitor the rate of fermentation.

Archived