Coopers Community

Got a ginger beer recipe that uses honey?

LucienA

Hey all, Newbie here, recently inspired by a few friends who have been brewing for a few years. I just put down my third brew.

Does anyone have recipes for ginger beer using honey instead of or as well as sugar? A friend's uncle has his own hives and makes a killer ginger beer with the honey from his bees but I don't have his number.

I couldn't find anything on this site so just winged it, my recipe (and I have no idea what it'll taste like) was:

Coopers ginger beer starter

3 lemons, juiced and zested

2 cinnamon quills

100g fresh ginger, grated.

1kg honey (a favourite type)

350g dark brown sugar

200g raw sugar

I boiled the cinnamon, ginger and lemon juice, pulp and zest, put the solid bits into a mesh bag, then made it all up to 20L as per the instructions.

My OG was only 1.025 so I think it was just a bum hydro reading, the label on the honey read 85% sugar so I assume it contains 850g of fermentables (and therefore my whole brew contains about 1400g + sugar from lemon and ginger juices).

Any predictions as to alcohol content/(more importantly) your own recipes?

Thanks!

Lucien

I like the ginger taste so try doubling the coopers ginger beer extract and try 2kg honey (23lt volume). Use champange yeast and let it ferment right out for a couple of weeks minimum. also bottle condition for as long as you can as will get much better with age. 6 months for a minimum, good luck

Archived