Coopers Community

Carlsberg

Greg

Hey all, im interested in a good clone for Carlsberg. I loved this bier when i was in Europe a few months back. Personally i think it tasted better over there than what it does here...

Im thinking it could be along similar lines to the Green neck Lager, but with extra Hallertau hops. I would like to try an replicate, or start with something and then attempt to modify as required to get as close to Carlsberg.

Im thinking at this stage:

1 can Coopers Euopean Lager

1kg LDM

250g Dextrose

25g Hallertau @ 10 mins

1 x coopers yeast (supplied under the lid) + European Yeast

23 litres

Ferment at 12 celcuis

Thoughts?

I'm not all that familiar with Carlsberg, but the recipe you have posted sounds good. I like the hallertau/hersbrucker hops used with this style.

remember the suggestion for the Euro lager is to wait 12 weeks after bottling before drinking [pinched] !

Thanks PB2. Just checking on the bitterness now, drinking the European Lager with Be2 side by side with Carlsberg. I would say the bitterness would only be slightly higher in the Carlsberg as opposed to the kit. But definiantly far more hop flavour and aroma in the Carlsberg, so this gives me the indication that there is more late hop additions.

For the bitterness correction, i might try as you suggested, going 10g @ 30 mins, to get close to the bitterness level. But for flavour and aroma, i might alter it slightly. Maybe do two additions, 10g @ 10 mins, 10g @ 5 mins.

Im sort of cheating with the dextrose addition, considering that Carslberg is supposed to be 'all malt', but i can't be bothered buying another 500g of LDM.

Thankfully i have controlled fermentation (fridge with temp control) especially in this heat up here! Im not too concerned with the 3 months waiting - i tend to leave my beers to 3-4 months in any case.

Greg

Archived