Coopers Community

English Bitter ?IPA?

ChrisM8

[bandit]

G'day.

latest batch in goes something like this...

1x can cooper's English Bitter & yeast.

1kg LDM

1x BE2

15g Chinook hops

15g Horizon hops

15g Tettnang hops

Batch size 23L.

1/2 Chinook & 1/2 Horizon hops boiled for 15 mins in 2L H2O with LDM.

1/2 Chinook & half Horizon dry hopped after 3-4 days (when active/visible fermentation completes)

15g Tettnang dry hopped after 1 week.

tastes pretty good straight out of the fermenter...not quite ready to bottle yet but promises to be quite nice! [innocent]

Cheers!

[alien]

Hmmm...english bitter malt (English style bitter/IPA) with Chinook (classic American bittering hop). Did you calc your IBUs? Use of East Kent Goldings rather than Chinook would have definitely aligned it with a English style, but I think the "harshness" of the chinook will produce an very interesting brew....I'm interested to see how it comes out of the bottle.

i don't calc anything man!

i just go with what i like & don't necessarily go for 'styles' either! i like to experiment & have a bit of fun with my brews as well as trying random configurations to see what kind of alchemical surprise comes out at the end!

i used the english bitter because of it's deep malt flavour (which I enjoy in a brew) and used chinook hops because they are bitter, which is what i was aiming for as well as their flavour...the other hops i've used are also for their flavour as well as an experiment with different hops...

it already tastes good out of the fermenter - bottle next week.

i got bored with fuggles & ek goldings...as well as cascade & cluster hops...want to use simcoe in a dark ale at some stage but the LHBS doesn't have them so i'll have to get them online some day!

[bandit]

I agree warren, Chinook hops can be a little dangerous! i did a little creatures pale ale clone once with 20g of chinook hops boiled for 45 mins and it was INSANELY bitter! [pinched]

ended up good though, i really liked it once you got past that bitterness!

& yes I am an "in house" brewer, i really love experimenting with my brews & have only had one bad batch out of 26 the last year! well, maybe two![lol]

Sure....need to be careful with chinook but sometimes that assertive, almost overpowering bitterness is what people are looking for. I'm enjoying a Coopers IPA selection topped with 20g chinook for 20minutes, plus other bittering hops thrown in the boil - topped up with extra malt and extra H2O.....I know we all like our own brews but I'd be happy buying this from the local...but only if I had to[lol]

I like to experiment too. my last english bitter i added along with 14 g of fuggles, a shot glass full of dried nettle at the last 20 mins of the boil. it gives a slight herb taste and its packed with vitamins. the medicinal quatities of nettle are outstanding. the wife can't give me nearly as much grief about all my beer swilling if its packed with goods for the body.

Archived