Coopers Community

Harvest Ale - Ideas?

StewartS2

My new hop plants are busily climbing and beginning to put on some spurs. My thoughts now turn to a recipe for a harvest ale. Was thinking something pretty basic just to let the hops shine. Was planning on wet hopping with whatever I get, will hopefully be a mixed bag of Cascade, Chinook, Goldings, Mt Hood and Saaz!

Any ideas for a base recipe?

Sounds a bit early for burrs to be forming?? How high are the bines? Any idea what qty of flowers to expect...

Cascade, Chinook and Goldings should make a good combo while Mount Hood and Saaz might pair up nicely. However, the character of hops is very depndent on the terroir - local soil composition, temps, rainfall, wind, daylight hours, etc. Your hops may carry a varietal name but this may be the only similarity to the real thing [crying]

The bines with the burrs are about 3m up the strings. Only the Chinook and Goldings have formed burrs, the Cascade is going very slowly. I realise they are a bit close together. Will dig em up over winter and spread them out a bit.

I would be quite happy if they taste a bit different to the ref type. Forget EKG, try NCG (North Coast Goldings).

BTW, any ideas for a harvest ale Paul? I was thinking the Coopers Pale might be an OK base but it does have a fair bit of POR taste. Maybe the Canadian kit?

5272900394_c18eaf3250.jpg

5272291813_cae5652a3c.jpg

The Australian Pale Ale Kit is my "go to" kit when I'm using a hop variety for the first time. Simply the kit + 500g LDM made to 20litres. Bring the LDM to the boil in about 4 litres of water, add 20g of hop pellets for 15mins then take off the heat and add another 20g, let steep for about 30mins and strain into the FV.

Thanks for the speedy replies Paul. Have added your recipe to my to-do list. Will see how many hop cones I get harvested. Being on the mid-north coast of NSW I don't have high expectations.

PS. I have been so happy with all the Coopers kits I have used as well as the advice on this site. I try to spread the gospel of good homebrew to anyone who will listen. Lets hope it has a bright future!

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update. Ended up putting down the following brew using my homegrown hop 'mix'. Planted my 1st year rhizomes too close together. Will be a mix of Cascade/Chinook/Goldings/My Hood and Saaz.

1 tin Coopers Pale Ale Goo

1kg LDME

500g Wheat Malt

500g Dextrose

200g Medium crystal (steeped etc)

25g homegrown hops (dry) at 30min boil

25g homegrown hops (dry) at 15 mins boil

US05 at 18degC

125g homegrown hops (wet) into primary after 10days

5508197295_f9180bb093.jpg

Tasting pretty good at day 10, nice balance of hop bitterness and some pale ale fruityness. Also a hint of Cascade/Chinook in the aroma. Will report back when its bottled, conditioned and cracked!

• 2 months later...

Well the bottling went fine, just had to 'shoe' away some hops away from the tap for the last bottle when I tipped the fermentor. Has been in the bottle about 10 weeks.

Cracked this one a couple of weeks ago. Turned out pretty well, definitely taste the hops all though the mix I used could of been better. I will space my hops out next season so I can choose the mix. Chinook and Goldings are not the best match!

Base beer was good, could of maybe used a bit more crystal malt. Overall very happy with using my own hops to make a beer like no other!

5764659432_a603c62689.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, thats great. I love the idea of using your own ingredients in your own brew. Definately say its your brew. I'm only new to adding hops, but it looks like a lot of hops to be adding, though i doubt it would've been too bitter.

My first brew that i have added hops to was the Coopers Pale Ale and it turned out great, have just ordered some more and with a few different ideas, will make up another one.

My style i want to produce is like the Vale Ale, Pale ale. Lots of fresh fruity aroma, with cascade and amarillo.

See how i go.

Archived