Coopers Community

Abita Turbodog

Kearnage

Here's a challenge - inspired by the recipe for Anchor Steam just posted in the How to Brew section, I'm interested in trying to roughly replicate my other favourite beer from the states, Abita Turbodog from Louisiana. They are kind enough to tell us the hops, malts and IBU etc, so maybe not impossible to replicate?

Turbodog

I suspect the hops are critical, perhaps mixed with a dark ale kit or similar?

There are all grain recipes around but a kit, hops +/- specialty grains would suit my skill a lot better. Which yeast is also something I am not sure about.

(I haven't had this brew since 1996 so it may not be as good as I remember!)

A bit of a "pluck from the air" as I am yet to taste this beer but perhaps you could try:

Original Series Dark Ale beer kit,

1kg Light Dry Malt,

100g Crystal Malt + 100g Choc Malt,

500g Dextrose

30g Willamette Hops (dry hopped).

15g of US-05 yeast, ferment between 18C-21C

Actually it was in Birmingham, Alabama.

The guy across the road had a fridge full of it. He also had a pickup with a keg in the tray and tap by the gear stick - not a recommended option. He blew stuff up for a living.

The local bar also had the Abita Christmas Ale on tap.

It was a long time ago, but I remember it being really good stuff.

• 2 months later...

I promised to get back with the result, and it is now nearly old enough to drink. Whilst I honestly can't remember the original well enough to compare how close this is, it's a great beer. Good balance of bitterness, sweetness and malt flavours, and the Willamette hops have a super flavour and aroma that suit the style perfectly. There's some coffee and chocolate happening too. This is one I will make again without a doubt.

Thanks PB2!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
A bit of a "pluck from the air" as I am yet to taste this beer but perhaps you could try:

Original Series Dark Ale beer kit,

1kg Light Dry Malt,

100g Crystal Malt + 100g Choc Malt,

500g Dextrose

30g Willamette Hops (dry hopped).

15g of US-05 yeast, ferment between 18C-21C

got this one the FV as we speak & it smells awesome...can't wait to get stuck into this one!

Cheers!

[devil]

• 1 month later...

Archived