Coopers Community

Stout questions

Wally

I have bought a Coopers stout brewing pack. The instructions are not very clear in the pamphlet under the lid. What would be the best mix to make this with, ie how much water and what sugar and who much of it to add?

Second question is the yeast supplied with the pack. It has no expire date on the packet, but only the numbers "159 05" stamped/engraved on the back. Is this still good and if not where can I get the right yeast?

Thanks

G'day Wally,

The best ingredient to mix with stout is really up to your own taste and preference.

As a start, you might like to try the Stouter Stout recipe on our "MAKE BEER" section.

Or maybe a two can mix of Stout and Pale Ale, with no other added sugars, made to 23 litres with both yeast sachets pitched.

Do a search in this forum on "stout" and you may find a few other ideas.

The yeast sachets now display a code representing the day they were packaged - 159 05 is the one hundred and fifty-ninth day of the year 2005. A julian date packaging code is considered adequate because the yeast is not sold separately and is enclosed with a product which carries a Best Before date.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul do you have any idea what the final alc content of the proposed mix above would be?

Maybe I should expand the question a little. What contibution does the can of mix make to the final alc count on average. For example if one should only use a can and no added sugars what will the expected alc persentage be. This is now for the average can?

Archived