Coopers Community

Scotch Ale

Kearnage

Well my previous questions I asked about the Coopers Scotch Ale I was drinking in Adelaide Pubs in the early 90's have been answered in the latest newsletter:

"A "Wee Heavy" is a colloquial term for a Scotch Ale. These days, the Scotch Ale style is virtually non-existent in Australia. One brew true to this category was Coopers Aberdeen Scotch Ale made by us back in the late 80's to early 90's. This Scotch Ale homebrew recipe is an interpretation of our Aberdeen Scotch Ale. People who recall the taste say it's very close to the mark. Give it a try!".

I'm definitely going to brew this one next, I loved that beer. (recipe is now in the 'How to Brew' section).

Only problem is I am having some difficulty re-culturing the Coopers yeast - I can't get past step one, which is:

"1. Buy a six pack of Coopers Original Pale Ale and place upright in the fridge for about a week for the yeast to settle."

I do just that, then when I go to check on them, they've mysteriously vanished, always in the first day or so, happens every time..!

Good marketing that one, get us to buy the commercial beer AND the home brew kits [happy]

Cheers

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine is pretty much ready for bottling. It's the only beer I've tasted whilst taking an SG reading, then poured myself more [love] It smelt great when it went in and has got better since. Can't wait to try the finished product!!

It's amazing I love my rich and creamy ales, I think I might try this one with an IPA kit next time, get some more bitterness. But gosh its nice. I hope I can leave some for a while, trying so had not to drink them all.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, this has been in the bottle for 24 days.

I tried it after a couple of weeks (can't help myself) and it was horrible, malty and sweet, and poorly carbonated.

10 days later it is without a doubt my finest effort so far, and should get much better with age.

I made it to the recipe Scotch Ale

and added some steeped crystal and choc grain (about 100 g each).

The ingredients are a little harder to hunt down but worth it if you like the Scotch Ale style.

Thanks for the recipe Paul, that's one I'll be repeating!

Dan

• 3 months later...

Sure, but it would be hardly worth the effort required to make it to 23 litres with an identical outcome to the 21 litre recipe.

Simple dilution will reduce aroma, colour, density, alcohol, bitterness. This may be okay for you, considering it's only in the order of around 9%.

Archived