Coopers Community

Euro Lager with hop additions

Hey everyone.

I just picked up a Cooper's Euro Lager today along with 1KG DME. I have a few ounces of Hallertau hops in the freezer and am just wondering what the best way to utilize the hops would be. I am basically after subtle/medium hop flavour, with a medium/big hop nose. I've never used these hops before, so I don't want to over do it.

I do plan on boiling the DME for 20 minutes for clarity reasons, as I am looking at ways to aid in the avoidance of chill haze. Any harm in boiling the kit for say 10 minutes or so, since I will be adding my own hops anyways? [unsure]

Clarity reasons?? What brand is the Dry Malt?

Do you plan to make the brew to 23 litres?

Don't boil the beer kit - it will drive off hop volatiles.

Softly does it with hops, try 1/2 ounce added to water just on the boil, take off the heat an steep for 15mins then strain into the brew.

Don't know if Munton's extracts are boiled during production but our product is boiled. So there is no need to boil our product if you are only after more clarity.

From Brewing FAQs:

Should I boil the kit to remove break?

We brew beer, malt extract and home brew worts in the same way. All worts are boiled and produce hot break, which is then removed in the whirlpool. Rather than being cooled down for fermentation, the malt extract and home brew worts are centrifuged and transferred to evaporators where all but around 20% of the water is removed. At this stage the malt extract and home brew is packaged then cools down but does not throw cold break material because the extract is too dense for it to precipitate.

Once you add water, the wort becomes thin enough for the break material to precipitate. This break material is completely harmless to the brew and will settle out during fermentation.

If boiled the break material may clump together giving the impression, incorrectly, that it is hot break. Boiling home brew (hopped malt extract) will only darken the brew and drive off hop aroma.

However, if you are following a specific recipe and using additional hops, you may like to boil some of the malt extract to achieve the expected hop utilisation for correct aroma, flavour and bitterness in the finished beer.

What other ingredients are in the brews that threw chill-haze?

My ingredients are pretty much the same from batch to batch: The beer kit and 2 500G bags of Munton's DME. I don't remember having that much problem years ago when I used to use dextrose, so I am leaning towards blaming the DME.

Hey PEI.

Not sure if you want to go this route or not, but I chilled my Red Ale in the carboy to get it to "haze" and then I treated the brew with Gelatin. That seemed to have taken out the proteins caused by chilling it. But I don't know if you want to do all that.

Fo

Archived