Coopers Community

Oktoberfest Winner

Trusty1

G'day PB2

Here is my Oktoberfest query...I am thinking about doing a SPECIAL brew for an OKTOBERFEST soiree. If you were asked by Mr & MRS Cooper to host an Oktoberfest party and to brew ONE beer, that recipe would be.........

Thanks in advance[cool]

Nice hypothetical![sideways] Considering the occasion, I would be obliged to go with an Oktoberfest, not that the syle enthuses me in any way. From BJCP style guidelines:

3B. Oktoberfest

Aroma: Rich German malt aroma (of Vienna and/or Munich malt). A light to moderate toasted malt aroma is often present. Clean lager aroma with no fruity esters or diacetyl. No hop aroma. Caramel aroma is inappropriate.

Appearance: Dark gold to deep orange-red color. Bright clarity, with solid, off-white, foam stand.

Flavor: Initial malty sweetness, but finish is moderately dry. Distinctive and complex maltiness often includes a toasted aspect. Hop bitterness is moderate, and noble hop flavor is low to none. Balance is toward malt, though the finish is not sweet. Noticeable caramel or roasted flavors are inappropriate. Clean lager character with no diacetyl or fruity esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, with a creamy texture and medium carbonation. Smooth. Fully fermented, without a cloying finish.

Overall Impression: Smooth, clean, and rather rich, with a depth of malt character. This is one of the classic malty styles, with a maltiness that is often described as soft, complex, and elegant but never cloying.

Comments: Domestic German versions tend to be golden, like a strong Pils-dominated Helles. Export German versions are typically orange-amber in color, and have a distinctive toasty malt character. German beer tax law limits the OG of the style at 14?P since it is a vollbier, although American versions can be stronger. \ufffdFest\ufffd type beers are special occasion beers that are usually stronger than their everyday counterparts.

History: Origin is credited to Gabriel Sedlmayr, based on an adaptation of the Vienna style developed by Anton Dreher around 1840, shortly after lager yeast was first isolated. Typically brewed in the spring, signaling the end of the traditional brewing season and stored in cold caves or cellars during the warm summer months. Served in autumn amidst traditional celebrations.

Perhaps the European Lager Beer kit could be the base for this brew, even though it contains some aromatic hop??

1.7kg European Lager beer kit

500g Light Dry Malt

200g Crystal or Cararoma malt or Munich Malt

15g of European Lager yeast + the kit yeast

Made to 20 litres

Start ferment at 24C for 12hrs then draw down to 15C

Thanks mate. I will use this as my intro to steeping grains.

Now that I have the winner, any of you runners up (I won't call you losers[biggrin]) want to have a crack at an Oktoberfest recipe? I can always have a sampling plate for the masses!

Thanks heaps[happy]

My goodness, what would Mr & Mrs say![pinched]

I might also try the wheat beer as posted in Josh's thread above (or below). I tried a litre glass of wit beer in Munich a few years back and wasn't that taken by it, way too sweet and syrupy, a home grown one might do the trick![wink]

I was thinking along the same lines as PB2:

1.7kg Cooper's European Lager

1kg Cooper's Light Malt

200g Crystal Malt (brushed and steeped before adding to brew)

11g Saflager yeast + kit yeast

This should come out at about 6%: did this with the Sparkling kit, so it should translate okay...

All grains carry bacteria, etc.

When using specialty grains, make sure to bring the temp up toward boiling at some stage - when adding them to boiling water or bringing the strained liquid to the boil after steeping the grain.

Archived