Coopers Community

sparkling ale

Dutchbrew76

Thought I'd share this recipe with you all.

1 Coopers Daught Kit

500g Light Dried Malt

250g Malto-dextrin (corn syrup)

250g Dextrose (sugar)

14g Pride of Ringwood hop pellets @ 10mins

Australian Ale Yeast

Add can contents to at least 2l of water in large saucepan. bring to the boil, stiring constanly to prevent sticking and burning, add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 mins. strain into fermenter and top up with cold water plus ice if necessary. when cool to 25 deg C, pitch yeast. ferment between 16 and 18 deg C for one to two weeks. then prime, bottle and store for two weeks.

I used a hop tea bag instead, threw it in at 10mins then poured then lot into fermenter.

Very happy with the result

I know your using the Coopers draught, but what does it come out like? Which commercial beer? Or is it taste sensation, Niels style. Will prob give that one a whirl sometime soon.

Another question Niels, I take it your from Holland originally? What do you think of Heineken? Do you know of a recipe similar to it?

Martyn.

hi martyn,

this recipe comes from one of laurie strachan books on homebrewing (great beers of the world) something I forgot to reference in first post. the book refers to this recipe as being of a similar style to a Coopers Sparkling Ale their is also an all-grain recipe listed as well.

I am going to make a comparison later tonight and will let you know.

yes I am dutch have been in Australia for a little over 25 years now. I quite like Heineken but it is not the best dutch beer on the Australian market Grolsch is one of my favourites and I am yet to try the new release Amstel. As yet I haven't tried to brew Heineken but there is a pilsner recipe in the How to Brew section that I have read in other post to be close.

Laurie's recipe should make a nice brew.

As for being similar to Coopers Sparkling Ale - it misses the mark with the following; bitterness, alcohol, hop aroma and FG.

You will find a closer interpretation of Coopers Sparkling Ale here.

yep, have to agree with you paul tried one of mine before I went out to dinner tonight and then ordered a coopers sparkling at the pub (stubbie) and the coopers was more bitter than mine.

may add some extra hops earlier in the boil next time.

Archived