Coopers Community

Pale Ale Yeast Culture

BigAl

I thought for a change I would put a Sparkling Ale down as per my usual recipe except I raised a Pale Ale yeast culture and pitched that in on its own. It has been 8 days now and the yeast is still active, SG of 1018 (Start SG was 1050). The brew was very active for the first 3 days (like getting up into the air lock!).

Is this normal for the Pale Ale culture?

Brew tastes alright (nothing skanky at all), actually looking forward to bottling it.........when it settles down. :?

You have a lot of fermentable material and you may have managed to grow up a very large amount of viable yeast cells. So, yeah, things can get a little crazy with this yeast. A lot of foaming is a good sign of a strong fermentation.

Thanks Paul,

But I would have thought a strong fermentation would lead to a short fermentation cycle.

Most of my brews with the same or even more fermentable material usually stable out after 4 or 5 days, 6 at the most?

Signed,

"Perplexed" :?

I am assuming that your recipe is as per the recommendation on the can.

Yeast, particularly ale yeast, can really hammer at the start when there are plenty of simple sugars available. Then when only the more complex sugars remain it can plod along or even give up all together. Check the gravity over the course of a couple of days - ignore airlock activity - and if the gravity is stable you can bottle off.

Hi Paul,

Yep.....that's what I'm doing, the SG is still coming down, checked it today and it has come down to 1016 so hopefully it will level off in the next day or two :wink:

PS: Yes the recipe (as far as amount of fermentables) is the same as on the can......why stuff around too much with a good thing... :wink:

PSS: The Extra Strong Ale #3 is really nice now. 8)

Good to hear that you are trying a few of my recipes.

Today, I spoke to a brewer who likes to take homebrew in PET (and cans of Dr Tims) away on his camping holidays and he thought he would try the new Irish Stout. Anyway, he made it up and bottled it off. Unfortunately, he tasted it a few weeks ago, just to see how it was going, and he liked it so much that he drank the rest. Now he only has cans to take away next week.

We like to hear that someone else is getting the same pleasure out of the Coopers Home Brew product as we are!

Archived