Coopers Community

Thomas Cooper's Original Home & Brewery For Sale

Tricky

The house in Norwood has grown since Thomas Cooper first built the two room cottage. But it still has the cellar where here first made his famous stout is still there. The cellar has now been transformed into a cinema room, wine room, and gymnasium.

It is up for auction today, so it looks as if I won't have time to put my bid in (much less the money)

The story is found here:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

That story in the paper helped Thomas' 75 year old grandson, Peter, to track down where the cellar was, as he had been looking for it for some years.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html

0,,6897068,00.jpg

2.65 MILLION!!! GEE WIZ LEMON FIZZ!!! and only 2 bed rooms!

Im in the house market right now and thats way way out of me league!

i grew up in norwood and spent more then half of my life living there. i only wish i could aford to get a house there now!

For those of you not in Adelaide... Norwood in about a 10 min drive from the CBD in the eastern subs of Adelaide. It has a very big cafe culture...

Thanks for this info Tricky!

Pretty good price considering the size of the property actually.

It has three bedrooms, a separate guest house area, full size tennis court, pool, entertaining area, formal and informal lounge and dining and is on a reasonably sized block to boot! Very roomy looking and pristine inside .... I'd say it was a good price but way out of my league :(

Looks like it is the real deal!

Gleaning some info from the Jolly Good Ale and Old: In 1856, Thomas paid 45 pounds for a block of land on George Street, Norwood. He borrowed 100 pounds to build a house (using his skills as a mason, having given up shoemaking) consisting of 6 rooms, passage and a cellar. In 1861, he went on to buy, for 80 pounds, a block of land next door which had an unfinished house and outbuildings.

It is not clear whether the brewing was done in the former house or the newly acquired property next door. There is mention, in his "Day Book", of tying corks on in the cellar.

At the end of 1862 he borrowed more money to build a new brewhouse and extend the cellar.

• 1 year later...

I was doing a bit of research on Thomas Cooper today and found two things that interested me -

The first is a newspaper ad from 17th April 1868 by Thomas Cooper advertising his Pale Ale.

Text is

PALE ALE, 5s. per dozen; stronger

6s.; in wood 6L, 2s. per gallon. Brewed

from malt and hops only. It is quite free from

the peculiar flavor of colonial ales. Delivered

at any place within seven miles of Adelaide.

Send orders to Thomas Cooper, Brewery,

George-street, Norwood.

site is here - LINK

The other is a page giving a bit of history to beer brewing in SA, and features a hand written statement from Thomas Cooper.

LINK

Archived